X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Curved shinai

dont you think its about time there was a curved shinai with a shorter grip and slightly heavier to make kendo more realistic (in regards to the katana) even though there are bokken aroun

Originally posted by [Kensei ????]
    dont you think its about time there was a curved shinai with a shorter grip and slightly heavier to make kendo more realistic (in regards to the katana) even though there are bokken aroun

Hi,

I bet you that these curved shinai would be more expensive and a bear to manufacture. Besides, you'd think that more people would've come up with this idea within the last 50+ years that kendo's been around.

Just my two cents...

Comment

http://www.e-bogu.com/Akatsuki_Ichik...ichikawa--.htm

there ya go

Comment

Weird... Is there any reason someone would use a curved shinai like that? There don't seem to be any benefits of having a curved shinai, besides the fact that it resembles the curve of a katana...
        I wonder if those are allowed for shiai, although I don't see why not... The curve probably drops overall length quite noticeably.
        Seems kind of pointless overall though.

Comment

Originally posted by Anjin-san
          Hi,

Well, I'll be damned...$115.00 and three inches shorter than the standard 39". Yeah, you'd definitely be at a disadvantage against some one using a standard shinai. Hmmm...
          Last edited by Ralutin; 14th April 2004, 02:42 AM.

Comment

it would seem logical that the first shinai to emerge in kendo SHOULD have been curved, simply because they were meant to be copying real katana, and also the grips should be shorter and slightly curved, the shinai is more the sort of a sword a ninja would use.
            I doubt they would be too hapy if anyone used those curved shinai in shiai, let alone keiko. And it seems like an odd way to curve a shinai, like the bamboo could snap under pressure too. However it seems like its better for hitting with, because the tip will only come into contact with the opponent

Comment

Sounds too expensive in my opinion.
              Every now and then I sand the bumped parts at the end of my shinai, to keep it from crack. I also rotate it 90 degrees once in a while, so the shinai wont take impact on the same side all the time. ( Im sure some of you do the same )

You wouldn't be able to do this with a curved shinai. I am pretty sure it would break pretty fast, if you go keiko alot.

Comment

The curve isn't the major thing preventing a shinai from behaving like a sword. It's the width and the weight, neither of which can be changed without seriously compromising safety.

Comment

i think the curved shinai wld be useless,
                  1) its shorter
                  2) its curve makes it even shorter
                  3) its curve means you would have to swing about 2 inches more to have contact, in comparison to a normal straight shinai
                  4) difficult to put down (edge down) in seiza
                  5) phreaking expensive
                  6) makes rotation impossible, lasts only 1/4 of wat a normal shinai does
                  7) PS : wouldnt the tsuru be sticking out a lot? and shinais get stuck under the tsuru more?

Comment

and what about the technical aspect? i mean, i do not know how bamboo reacts exactly, but i can't believe that the bamboo from a curved shinai bends as bamboo from a straight shinai when hitting a target...

i'm sure you all have seen once a photo taken exaclty at the moment when the shinai hits the men - it's awesome how much the bamboo bends.
                    i doubt that a curved shinai reacts the same way. it would be more painful, wouldn't it?

Comment

If it was curved you would have to cut deeper. This would bring the hands down in front up the opponent and would hinder going through.There must be a dozen other reasons but this is the first that comes to mind.

You would have to review everything.

Comment

it would hurt a LOT because the shape prevents the bamboo slats from sliding past each other, i think tsuki would be a bit awkward too...

Comment

Originally posted by [Kensei ????]
                          But exactly how realistic do you want to make it. Thinking that way you can forget kendo kikentaichi. You can even do away with cuts to the head. As I said a complete review would be necessary as to just how realistic you would want it to be an exactly how far back you would want to go in budo history.

Prewar kendo had a twisting movement of the back foot rather than going through. There have been so many changes as it is. Japan's tradition is predominantly, "If it works why change it". But this is not the case in Kendo. In fact they are still making it up. For my part I do wish they would just leave it alone for a while.

Without a doubt sword arts have spilit into facets over the years. If you want something different its best to do another facet rather than make one up. They are inexorably linked and certain good attributes do flow over.

Comment

if all sword arts developed from kenjitsu then why did they have to alter the practice swords for Kendo into Shinai

Comment

Bamboo is naturally pretty straight, not curved. To curve bamboo a constant pressure would need to be exerted on the slats leading to fatigue and shorter life spans. Also the main use of the curved sword is sharpness and drawing speed, neither of which matters in kendo. If you were fighting iaikendo(made this up i know its fake lol) where you both stand there and just draw then a curved sword would be better but since you start with the sword out the muscle memory is the same whether you use a curved sword or a straight sword. Its pretty easy to see this, use a bokken and a shinai and strike men, then kote, then do, then tsuki. Its the same motion with either sword the only thing that changes is distances. As to why t he shinai's are longer i bet the explenation is as simple as some guy decided to get a little advantage and pull out a longer shinai then his friend copied and before you knew it everyone was making longer and longer shinais to give themselves the advantage.

Comment

Working...
                              X