X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tsukagawa Color (newbie question)

I?m a newbie so my question relates to both etiquette and practical application. On the first night of the beginner class I?m in I noticed the Senseis's shinai was colored with what I guessed was the navy blue dye that is used for leather parts of bogu. Is this a common practice? Does having or not having a dyed Tsukagawa and Naka Yui even matter?

Smurfy

The dye comes off of bogu (primarily). It can take a LONG time for bogu to stop shedding dye onto leather. Other than indicating that someone's bogu is fairly new or recently dyed, it doesn't mean anything.

Comment

Originally posted by stuartwilson
      The dye comes off of bogu (primarily). It can take a LONG time for bogu to stop shedding dye onto leather. Other than indicating that someone's bogu is fairly new or recently dyed, it doesn't mean anything.
      Its does if the colour is in the wrong place!

Comment

I've found what happens alot with my tsuka turning blue is that after i get my new bogu all ready for class i end up rubbing quite a bit of blue dye onto the tsuka.

Comment

Me too, and that's because my hands turn blue just by wearing my gi and hakama!

Comment

Most of the blue gets on the hands from tying the Dogu and Men himo...goes straight to the Tsukagawa. The Naka Yui usually turn blue from hitting others dogu.

Comment

My shinai was bright white in the beginning. Then, it turned a little grey/tan from general dirtiness. Then, it became slightly blue from my hands tying my hakama. Then, it became dark blue where my kote touched the shinai. Now, it is covered in a dark blood red from fighting killer rabbits.

Comment

If in fact these are the same killer rabbits of Monty Python fame, wouldn't the Holy Hand Grenade of Antioch be a better choice of weapon than a shinai?

Comment

Yes, that is the one.

Comment

Working...
                  X