X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• red string around shinai

I've noticed that there are three red stirngs wrapped several times around the shinai. I was wondering hwat exactly they are there for? I know the white string is needed there, but what about the red ones.

red strings

I was told to cut them off by my sensei. He said that they were just there to hold the staves together during shipping.

DaveC

Comment

Originally posted by indigo0086
      I've noticed that there are three red stirngs wrapped several times around the shinai. I was wondering hwat exactly they are there for? I know the white string is needed there, but what about the red ones.
      are you serious ? they're depth gauges to let you know exactly where to strike and not to strike, the lowest string means you are cutting to deep....just kidding.... anyways they're there to hold the shinai together until you use it for keiko ....just cut them off

Comment

*snip snip*

Comment

Their most useful function is as a gauge of how knowledgeable the stunt people are in a given movie or TV show - if you see the shipping ties still on the shinai, you know they haven't done their research.

Comment

hahahahaha. aren't we all just bunch of serious kendokas with a humorous side.

Comment

they make sure that your opponents do not survive geiko against you... the red string holds the take's together and prevents it from bending in and out, making it effectively as painful as a bokuto.. i recommend you leave it on until your arms are strong enough to do enough damage without the aid of these strings..

Comment

those strings are supposed to ward off evil spirits and you need to tie them various places around on your uniform and bogu to give you luck.

I suggest tie them in little bows so they make you look particularly intimidating

Comment

dont be ridiculous they dont ward the spirits off, they attract them, demons are known for their red string fetishes...

Comment

leave them on

You gotta leave them them on they make the shinai go faster, they're special go faster strings.

Comment

horny demons chasing you has that sort of effect...

Comment

Where can I buy some more of the red strings? my old ones have fallen off.

Comment

to take them off just tug on the end of one of the strings and they come right off, you dont need to cut anything.

Comment

Originally posted by Odachi
                            I'll sell you some of mine for 10$ per cm.

Comment

Originally posted by Odachi
                              Just use a permanent marker to draw red lines around where the red strings were. This is sanctioned by the IKF as acceptible outside of Japan, as supplies of the correct string can be hard to come by.

Comment

Working...
                              X