X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• "Mutant" shinai

Hey guys, I just replaced a stave in one of my shinai with an old stave, but the knots of the bamboo don't match up exactly. This isn't hazardous, is it?

my sempai's shinai has 3 takes that are different from each other, well, after being hit by it a couple of times i can say that it wasnt dangerous..

Comment

Originally posted by KendokaJim
      Hey guys, I just replaced a stave in one of my shinai with an old stave, but the knots of the bamboo don't match up exactly. This isn't hazardous, is it?
      Nah, good work. Just make sure the staves can slip by each other easily. Strip, sand, and oil them if they don't. I've found that it's best to position the mutant stave on the "upper" or "lower" side, depending on where the knot is, rather than the left or right.

Comment

ditto what Not-I said. I've done that too and so far it's been all good.

Comment

Just used it at keiko, and all was well... muahaha! I saved $25!!! WOOOOOOOO!

Comment

Neither I nor anyone in my dojo ever bothered with lining up the bamboo staves (we even threw away those little iron squares). I can't say that it affected our technique, since our girls team were national champions a few years ago. The only possible problem is that they tend to break more easily.

Comment

tsk tsk... your girls won national... what about YOU if i may ask? what did YOU do? lazy #%@% (kidding)

what do you mean by lining up the bamboo staves? you mean cutting notches into new take's to fit into the metal square?
              i read somewhere that the metal square makes sure all the take's move as a whole, if it were removed one of the staves may be constantly pushed more than the rest, depending on how you grip and use the shinai, and it would eat away at the saki-gawa and potentially rip through, which is dangerous...
              (btw at the recent seminar i went to, one of my sempais sakigawa ripped, and he didnt know, it was only until he went back into kamae that his opponent pointed it out.. to his gr8 shock, he actually gasped and jumped a bit...tht was funny..)

Comment

Originally posted by mystic_kendoka

what do you mean by lining up the bamboo staves? you mean cutting notches into new take's to fit into the metal square?
                i read somewhere that the metal square makes sure all the take's move as a whole, if it were removed one of the staves may be constantly pushed more than the rest, depending on how you grip and use the shinai, and it would eat away at the saki-gawa and potentially rip through, which is dangerous...
                (btw at the recent seminar i went to, one of my sempais sakigawa ripped, and he didnt know, it was only until he went back into kamae that his opponent pointed it out.. to his gr8 shock, he actually gasped and jumped a bit...tht was funny..)
                bamboo naturally has its fat parts that sort of stick out--what they're talking about here is lining up those bumps in every stave so the circle of bumps goes around the shinai's circumference instead of one bump on one stave being up high and another bump on another stave being low. (dunno if that makes sense, but anyway)

and as for the little metal square thing, I heard that if all the staves fit snugly together and are placed firmly in the tsuka-gawa, none of them would move. it's actually true 'cause all the shinais that I've "made" haven't had any moving staves so far.

Comment

Working...
                X