X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Easily Broken Carbon Shinai

I recently ordered a carbon shinai from www.e-bogu.com, and recieved it 2 days ago. To my great disappointment I used it in shiai today and it broke

http://www.e-bogu.com/Carbon_Shinai_...sedbk2--39.htm

thats mine it cost a LOT of money, what should I do?

Originally posted by Kote-Men
    I recently ordered a carbon shinai ... I used it in shiai today and it broke... what should I do?
    They sell replacement staves. You are better off buying another and then using that to constantly replace staves. Or, you can buy a whole bunch of $25 shinai and live off that for a while.

Comment

I have used many 25 buck shinais I have broken MANY

I';ll try and get replacement staves, but I'm not exactly a master at re-building shinais

Comment

...I'm not exactly a master at re-building shinais
        It's easy once it becomes a habit, and it's a good way to save cash and establish a more intimate relationship with your shinai. They won't break as much if they know you like them.

Comment

Originally posted by not-I
          They won't break as much if they know you like them.
          i like my shinai.. me like it very much...

I like reassembling shinai's sometimes but i really don't want to touch the carbon shinai... it looks so perfect and good... well it is broken but thats no matter. i haveta replace 2 staves..

i really wasn't used to the oval handgrip

Comment

I have had 4 or 5 carbon shinai over the years and the only ones I had trouble with were the early models. One broke a stave a few inches from the tip and the koban model broke in the handle area. I have not had any trouble with the newer ones, the newest being from 1993. I only use them for backups as I do not really like the feel of them.

The recent ones I have seen broken were one which was deliberately broken by the opponent or were from overflexing which is a bit of a problem with carbon shinai.

Where did yours break? Depending on how and where it broke it could be a defective one. Hasegawa does not warrant the shinai outside Japan I believe, but if it can be shown to be a defective stave maybe you have a recourse.

Comment

deliberately broken by the opponent
              wow.... how that happened?

Comment

I recently ordered a carbon shinai from www.e-bogu.com, and recieved it 2 days ago. To my great disappointment I used it in shiai today and it broke

http://www.e-bogu.com/Carbon_Shinai_...sedbk2--39.htm

thats mine it cost a LOT of money, what should I do?
                Did you contact e-bogu? Perhaps they will give you another carbon shinai... they say that they stand by their product... why don't you test their statement and let us know.

I am not an expert or anything but I don't think a good quality carbon shinai should have broken that quickly...

Comment

Originally posted by Kirin
                  wow.... how that happened?
                  Two Canadians that did not like each other. The one got the carbon shinai stuck in the armpit and the other clamp down on it and broke it by I think a twisting motion. Teenage hormones at work.

Comment

hah

I have used many 25 buck shinais I have broken MANY

I';ll try and get replacement staves, but I'm not exactly a master at re-building shinais
                    Sounds more like a user error than a product error if you are always breaking shinai.

Comment

Originally posted by Mikeyprime
                      Sounds more like a user error than a product error if you are always breaking shinai.
                      This could be true but it would take a really bad case of misusage for a carbon shinai with "durability 30 times higher than a bamboo shinai" to break on the first few lessons.

Comment

ditto

It may not be the shinai. I have had a brand new carbon one broken by a novice. I have never broken one personally. Many of my shinais last me a year or more. I usually go through two to four a year depending on several factors. I practice 4+ days a week on average. I normally buy the $30-$50 take and assemble my own. I have had bad staves in the more expensive bamboo but normally they last a long time.
                        So you maybe hitting a little too hard and using a lot of right hand.

Comment

Maybe you should stop using too much right hand and hitting it as "KOTAY! MEN!"

Orayakab, Ura.

Comment

I thought the carbon ones would last a lot longer than what you guys are saying. I guess I will stick to the traditional bamboo for now.

Comment

Originally posted by Anime12478
                              I thought the carbon ones would last a lot longer than what you guys are saying. I guess I will stick to the traditional bamboo for now.
                              They do last a lot longer under most circumstances (sensei's carbon shinai has lasted 3 years of at least 3 practices a week.)

Comment

Working...
                              X