Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.

Oiling Clarification

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Oiling Clarification

    Hi everyone,

    I know that there are numerous threads about oiling a shinai (methods/types of oil to use) but I just want to clarify something that I have been wondering about. According to the Akatsuki website: http://at80.jp/shinai/shinai_kotei17.html Rapeseed oil (also known as Canola oil) is used to oil the shinai. There are some who have argued that using vegetable-based oils is not very good since they can turn rancid. Why would Akatsuki use this type of oil? Would it then be safe to use this type of oil on a regular practice shinai? Eguchi has suggested lemon oil (but this can be very expensive). There are so many opinions on this issue (so many combination of oils/methods)... is it ultimately a matter of personal preference?

  • #2
    i think any oil is good enough, as long as you use it properly...

    for every different oil there is a different set of rules, amount of oil, amount of time to let it soak in, etc.

    so.. rapeseed is good if u use it in a correct rapeseed oiling method... u'll have to look in on that..

    Comment


    • #3
      In our kendo dojo the senseis recommnd using "Linen" oil,
      its an oil for wood made from linen, it smells awful
      and its very toxic, but it makes the shinai perfect with color also!

      also its not expensive, 1$ for 1/4litre bottle (and half of it should be enough)

      Comment


      • #4
        Lemon Oil is maybe expensive, but it doesn't take a lot to oil something up. It smells nice, but it's darn toxic, like linseed oil, wich is used in the music industry. I oil my wooden recorder with this.

        Comment


        • #5
          ... linseed oil is toxic??? um.. oops..

          Comment


          • #6
            quick note/question--how can you tell if a certain kind of oil is GOOD or BAD for your shinai? I can't seem to tell the difference.

            Comment


            • #7
              well unless it dissolves the bamboo of your shinai i wouldnt say there are any bad oils.. its more of which oil is easier to use and is cheaper and more available.. unless ur using motor oil any is fine..

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by litige
                Lemon Oil is maybe expensive, but it doesn't take a lot to oil something up. It smells nice, but it's darn toxic, like linseed oil, wich is used in the music industry. I oil my wooden recorder with this.
                Lemon oil is toxic? I thought it was an essential oil that you could consume. They are selling lemon oil at the health food stores... unless this type is something totally different.

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by litige
                  Lemon Oil is maybe expensive, but it doesn't take a lot to oil something up. It smells nice, but it's darn toxic, like linseed oil, wich is used in the music industry. I oil my wooden recorder with this.
                  You oil a wooden recorder (which you put in your mouth) with a toxic oil? Damn, you're really hardcore.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    i thought he was talking about a wooden tape recorder or something.. i just realized this was stupid...

                    i think the lemon oil is some oil that contains lemon extract, not the oil that comes from lemons..

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      interesting that i found this active thread today... i'm actually in the process of taking apart my shinai.

                      which part are you supposed to oil? the inside--the non-shiny part of part of the staves in the center that don't see daylight-- or the outside? Or both?

                      I have some shinai oil in a can. It seems logical to oil the outside, seeing as its the side that spinters from hits. but, i've seen posts where people recommended oiling the inside.

                      Or... maybe what they think the inside is.. is different from what i think the inside is.

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by jimbofish
                        interesting that i found this active thread today... i'm actually in the process of taking apart my shinai.

                        which part are you supposed to oil? the inside--the non-shiny part of part of the staves in the center that don't see daylight-- or the outside? Or both?

                        I have some shinai oil in a can. It seems logical to oil the outside, seeing as its the side that spinters from hits. but, i've seen posts where people recommended oiling the inside.

                        Or... maybe what they think the inside is.. is different from what i think the inside is.
                        you can try oiling the outside...you'll see how it doesn't absorb oil quickly

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Originally posted by Haowen
                          You oil a wooden recorder (which you put in your mouth) with a toxic oil? Damn, you're really hardcore.
                          You bet after 3 or 4 sniffs, I play like a freaking pro!

                          But actually, it's just the bore I oil.

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Originally posted by Enderin
                            In our kendo dojo the senseis recommnd using "Linen" oil,
                            its an oil for wood made from linen, it smells awful and its very toxic, but it makes the shinai perfect with color also!
                            i use linseed oil too but mine doesn't smell awful - maybe yours is already rancid? nah, i can't believe it's toxic??!!
                            but it makes a nice colour

                            jimbofish, i soak a cloth and rub the oil in. like litige mentioned, the outside doesn't take up oil well.

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              or u can put oil in a long tube and just leave the staves inside the tube to give it an all rounder oiling and some weight gains.. ive heard some ppl do tht..

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X