X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Suburi Shinai

Is getting a Suburi shinai worth it? My dad agreed to get me one, but I'm having second thoughts...
    Also, is E-Bogu trustworty? Theres not so many kendo shops wehre i live, and those are a bit more pricey than e-bogu.. So e-bogu would be my first choice in buying a suburi shinai.

e-bogu's pretty trustworthy. I haven't had any problems with it yet.

Comment

oh, and also, I think putting weights at the tip of your shinai works equally well as a suburi shinai. I don't know if I'd personally want to spend money on purchasing one.

Comment

Originally posted by tapioka
        oh, and also, I think putting weights at the tip of your shinai works equally well as a suburi shinai. I don't know if I'd personally want to spend money on purchasing one.
        yeah i tried putting weights on, but then the weighting of the shinai gets messed up and my hands end up moving different then they would without the weights (is that even somthing to worrry about? @_@)

Comment

Instead of shinai, why not bokken/bokutou?
          It should help your tenouchi

just my 2 cents,

Comment

Originally posted by Akira Kurosawa
            yeah i tried putting weights on, but then the weighting of the shinai gets messed up and my hands end up moving different then they would without the weights (is that even somthing to worrry about? @_@)
            So you've tried the weights at bogubag.com? http://www.bogubag.com/Shinai/shinai.html (scroll down, you'll find it )

I thought about it...but I just decided to use my bokken that I will be planning to buy. And also, I just learned that kata on friday that you have in your signature Akira! What is that kata called? (sorry my sensei didn't tell me)

Comment

Originally posted by kenshin13
              So you've tried the weights at bogubag.com? http://www.bogubag.com/Shinai/shinai.html (scroll down, you'll find it )

I thought about it...but I just decided to use my bokken that I will be planning to buy. And also, I just learned that kata on friday that you have in your signature Akira! What is that kata called? (sorry my sensei didn't tell me)
              That is the first kata of 10 used in kendo. I'm not really sure what it's called either. Is there a site that has those type of videos/GIFs(I think they're called) of all the kata??

Comment

Originally posted by Holmgren-san
                That is the first kata of 10 used in kendo. I'm not really sure what it's called either. Is there a site that has those type of videos/GIFs(I think they're called) of all the kata??
                Ipponme.

By the way uchidachi should end up in gedan, not keeled over like they're bowing.

I wouldn't learn kata from an animated gif. Too much chance of inaccuracies. A book, at best, for reminding you of the steps you learnt in the dojo.
                Last edited by Haowen; 29th August 2004, 11:49 PM.

Comment

Is getting a Suburi shinai worth it? My dad agreed to get me one, but I'm having second thoughts...
                  Also, is E-Bogu trustworty? Theres not so many kendo shops wehre i live, and those are a bit more pricey than e-bogu.. So e-bogu would be my first choice in buying a suburi shinai.
                  e-bogu is trustworthy. but I would reccomend that instead of a suburi shinai you got (as kirin said) a suburi bokken (maybe even the super heavy one)

Originally posted by Holmgren-san
                  It's called Ipponme. Kendo World has videos of the kata (among many others) with all the names here (scroll down to the middle).
                  Last edited by Lloromannic; 30th August 2004, 12:13 AM. Reason: forgot to add link

Comment

First e-Bogu has been great for me, Nao Hiwada-san especially so. I bought one of their Suburi Bokken with Groove, and it is doing the job. I was inspired by a Japanese high-school girl who visited our dojo and went through the entire warm up and kata practice with one.

At first I thought the grove was a bit silly (it makes a swooshing sound when you cut fast) but after using it a while, I can tell when I'm slowing down (no sound) and when I'm being consistent (same sound each time).

It does help with building the arms, and with control/tenouchi. When you're done with a few hundred suburi, your shinai will seem light as a feather.

Comment

Great for building your muscles doing Suburi. Approximate weight 1.3 Kg (2.9lb) Red Oak Wood (45").
                      oh great, and its only like 60 dollar plus shipping and handlling...

my advise is you make your own suburi shinai. i did that, or buy a suburi bokuto for 20 euros at the local store? seems a bit pricey this ebogu shop... stay away from my money ebogu dudes.

btw, i think i have the world record suburi shinai made out of 14 slats hohoho, beat that baby

Comment

Well I guess it's the matter of why you want the suburi. And E-bogu is indeed trust worthy, in my opinion.

Comment

Originally posted by Paburo

my advise is you make your own suburi shinai.
                          hey Paburo, how do you make a suburi shinai? I'm kinda interested.

Comment

tapioka-san, its not THAT HARD to make a suburi shinai. you just have to take a regular shinai and overweight it. whether you add additional slats(my friend pepe made one of 6 slats) or, just adding weight somehow. QUITE important though, is to keep the overall balance of the sword. thats why shinai weights suck. they completely ruin the balance of shinai, thus screwing your suburi motion. this is a no no for me.

the bamboo shinai i use for regular practice is also a bit overweighted, since it has doubled tsukagawa(barely 580gr).

now if youre really interested in my world record SUBURIATOR 4000 shinai, made out of 14(saddly-for-my-pocket-broken) slats, take a look at this post in my journal/blog

http://www.livejournal.com/users/paburo/20672.html

Comment

heyy, very cool! arigato, paburo-san. (^^)

Comment

Working...
                              X