X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• twisting tsuka

i have a problem with my shinai. just bought it and everytime i use it, the tsuka(don't know if this is the leather handle) twists around. anyone have a similar problem? how did you solve it?

~taganahan

Try wetting it, it should shrink a bit.

Comment

Tsuka gawa does stretch after several months.
      Best way is use hot steam out of a kettle, this way you can moisture tsuka evenly. .. becareful dont wet tsuka too much :P

Comment

also, having the tsuru well tensed and well knotted prevents the tsuka from twisting around.

Comment

well, the shinai is still quite new. thanks for the help!

~taganahan

Comment

do the above mentioned techniques work for a tsukagawa that slides down a bit,?(when receiving blows to the tsuba..)

Comment

Originally posted by taganahan
              i have a problem with my shinai. just bought it and everytime i use it, the tsuka(don't know if this is the leather handle) twists around. anyone have a similar problem? how did you solve it?
              this also happened to me quite frequently a few years ago, but it stopped happening naturally. one of my sempai told me it sometimes happens as you adjust your grip to achieve proper tenouchi.

Comment

ive been wanting to ask, wat is tenouchi?

Comment

Originally posted by mystic_kendoka
                  ive been wanting to ask, wat is tenouchi?
                  tenouchi is the quick tightening of the grip at the moment that you strike the target. ideally, you want to keep your grip relaxed until that moment because any extra tension in your muscles will only slow you down. a nice tenouchi is critical in achieving that nice sharp hit without using bone-crushing force. also, when you use tenouchi, as opposed to the inertia of the shinai, you can stop the shinai within inches even when you miss the target.

Comment

oh.. tht...

been straining my wrist muscles trying to do katate properly..

Comment

Originally posted by Halcyon
                      tenouchi is the quick tightening of the grip at the moment that you strike the target.
                      I think it is best described as "wringing a towel" at the moment you hit the target. It really helps if you find that your hit to the men is sliding off to the left or right.

Comment

do the above mentioned techniques work for a tsukagawa that slides down a bit,?(when receiving blows to the tsuba..)
                        Maybe your tsuru is too loose?

Comment

tsuru as tight as possible..the thing is, i have a tsuba with 2 tsuba domes, one normal, one stitched leather, so instead of the tsuba giving way, the whole tsuka moves...

Comment

tsuru as tight as possible..the thing is, i have a tsuba with 2 tsuba domes, one normal, one stitched leather, so instead of the tsuba giving way, the whole tsuka moves...
                            Maybe you have wrong size tuska gawa.
                            You know there are diffrent sizes for tsuka(39 shinai has regular and large depending on fatness/circumference of tsuka)

...or try to use 38 tsuka-gawa if you are using 39 shinai. (37 if using 38)

...or if you really want to use current tsuka, wrap vynl tape around tsuaka then one layer of paper tape(where your right hand left hand) and then put tsuka-gawa.

also be careful about too tight tsuru. It can make hole in saki-gawa.
                            You dont want bare bamboo sticking out from tip of your shinai :P

Comment

You dont want bare bamboo sticking out from tip of your shinai :P
                              i saw that happen once.. he thought the red plastic was blood or something..

i use a size 38 for a 38 shinai..
                              ill try the tape method
                              thnx

Comment

Working...
                              X