X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• shinai question

every time i squeeze the handle it makes a squeaking sound...i took off the handle and the 4 staves are glued together..however the bond broke for one of them so it kinda pops out a bit...i think this is causing the squeaking sound...is this a big problem?

As long as your tsuka (leather handle) is tight and all staves are not moving around in your hand, bit of squeaking sound won't be a problem. One of my shinai is made of two different shinais and one stave is slighly different in width and makes squeaking sound but never had any problem.

Comment

Why is your handle still glued? When you first got the shinai you should have taken it apart, lightly sanded the edges and oiled it. This is standard procedure for new shinai.

Comment

Originally posted by Neil Gendzwill
        Why is your handle still glued? When you first got the shinai you should have taken it apart, lightly sanded the edges and oiled it. This is standard procedure for new shinai.

Clearly he wasn't aware of that, no need to pounce...

Comment

Originally posted by Fenix
          every time i squeeze the handle it makes a squeaking sound...i took off the handle and the 4 staves are glued together..however the bond broke for one of them so it kinda pops out a bit...i think this is causing the squeaking sound...is this a big problem?
          Your staves are not glued together. If they are, that's a problem. If one of staves are not connected, the metal tab at the bottom might have disconnected or got moved out.
          Squeaking? Just replace the oil and filter and replace after 4000 miles.

Comment

Originally posted by Neil Gendzwill
            I was told that i only needed to sand and oil the top 2/3 of the shinai.
            Last edited by Fenix; 8th September 2004, 12:49 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Hai_hai
              Your staves are not glued together. If they are, that's a problem. If one of staves are not connected, the metal tab at the bottom might have disconnected or got moved out.
              Squeaking? Just replace the oil and filter and replace after 4000 miles.
              I think i saw somewhere that some shinai's have the staves glued at the handle...it certainly does look glued though, theres some residue on the staves at the handle

Comment

Originally posted by Hai_hai
                Your staves are not glued together. If they are, that's a problem.
                Not really.

At the last taikai, all the Aun Besoku I saw at the Eguchi stand had glued handles.

The Musha shinai I got from E-bogu also had glued handles on some of them...not all.

Rather than taking it apart, I just fold a piece of sandpaper and slide it in between a few times over the first 1/3 of the shinai and oil it.

After a couple of practice, the glue would have been shaken loose...then I take it a part and really oil it.

Your mileage may vary...

Comment

so should i break the glue and take the staves apart...or just leave it?

Comment

Originally posted by Fenix
                    so should i break the glue and take the staves apart...or just leave it?
                    Well, you've practiced with it already, right?

I would think the glue would have been shaken apart by now.

I would take it apart and oil it. Take real care in splitting the glue though...once, a huge split came off the tsuka when I wasn't careful...ruined shinai.

P.S. It's your sword...you should call the shots

Comment

Working...
                    X