X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• YOUR FIRST SHINAI

hi this is my first thread so don't get mad but what was your first shinai? mine was a exteremely old one that was full of worm holes and it broke by the end of class, so i talked with Yoshinaga sensei and he then gave me a partialy used but still in good condition carbon shinai so i'm happy

Originally posted by idiotdo
    hi this is my first thread so don't get mad but what was your first shinai? mine was a exteremely old one that was full of worm holes and it broke by the end of class, so i talked with Yoshinaga sensei and he then gave me a partialy used but still in good condition carbon shinai so i'm happy
    I can't remember my first shinai. It might have been a pretty good second hand one like yours. I remember that I turned up late to my first class by mistake and my instructor wasn't very pleased. He has always been nice to me since then though. He gave me my first carbon shinai too but it was a 38 and by the time I got back into kendo after getting home from Japan I needed a 39. I ended up giving it to some girl because I am a sucker for pretty girls.

I haven't seen my first instructor for eight years but we still write occasionally.

Comment

To light

I got one from a local shop after browsing arround on this site. I took it trough the hole oiling thing and polished it time after time using all kinds of oil to see which one worked best. In the end that left me with the most glossy shinai ever. I used it 2 times during practice and decided to get a heavier one. With that I got the superdeluxe leatherparts and used them on my "old" deep yellow glossy shinai. Got my self a little stand (for katana's) and put it in the corner of my livingroom. Looks cool and it's a nice memory from my very first kendo class.

Best Regards,

Louis

Comment

My first shinai was a 12 Blitz martial arts supplies shinai... I was actually a really good shinai. I would still use blitz shinai if i hadn't broken all the ones i already have :-( . and I must admit, i have turned into a bit of a shinai snob...

p.s. I love my Hasagawa Carbon Shinai, I don't see why everybody hates them... oh well each to thier own

Comment

Mine was a second hand 'Frankenshinai' that belonged to a sempai. None of the staves matched, the bamboo had gone a very deep colour and the tsukagawa had almost gone black. I didn't get a tsuba with it, so I had to ask for one every practice.

Comment

I just bought mine from the club. I should consider getting one in the next few weeks because I am not sure how long mine will last.

Comment

My first was a little cheap ten dollar job. Bad balance but I didnt know it at the time. So I played with this cheap one till it wore out after awhile and I bought myself a oval grip for around eighty and never looked back. Last class a new student had one of the same ten dollar ones I used to have so for old time sake I asked for a few swings of it. Ugh... Never again!

Comment

Originally posted by D'Artagnan
                p.s. I love my Hasagawa Carbon Shinai, I don't see why everybody hates them... oh well each to thier own
                Give yourself another 5 years, you'll be back to bamboo for anything serious but still loving the maintenance-free carbon for general knocking around.

Comment

My first shinai lasted 10 months and had a beautiful balance. It broke when a sensei gave it a killer uchiotoshi waza. He broke through the top and bottom slats!. I felt like crying, I really liked that shinai. I still have it although it is beyond repair.

Comment

I bought my first one from martial arts world in Gladesville - I donated it to the beginners class not long after

Comment

I got my from martial arts world too and it lasted only 1 month

Comment

Originally posted by KHuang
                        I got my from martial arts world too and it lasted only 1 month
                        I got a bogu set from Martial Arts World that lasted about that long too.

Comment

Mine was an amusing old one of my sensei's... far too heavy for me (me being an ickle girlie)... my first PROPER one was a lovely one that sensei made for me... I still have it, altho it has been repaired several times!

Comment

I'm suprised no-ones borrowed that 'old broom' joke and applied it to Shinai.

You know the one. I've had this broom for 30 years. It's only had 8 new heads and 10 new handles.

I'd do it myself but I can only name about three parts of the Shinai and no, I don't mean this end, the middle and the other end.

Comment

wow lots of people cool, just recently 2 kids just got their uniform and i was in the class 2 more days than they had and i think that is unfair

Comment

Working...
                              X