Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.

The weirdest bokken question anyone could ever think of...

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The weirdest bokken question anyone could ever think of...

I think this will be the weirdest question about bokken mantinience (sp) .
    How do you get paint off of a bokken? My friend slid it between my white door and wall and it scratched paint unto it. I don't want to butcher my bokken, so how could it come off?

Thanks for answering a weird qeustion, ( )

Noah.

well did you try scratching it off. It may damage it a little bit though...

Comment

sanding perhaps? then either re-varnish or stain?

Comment

his idea is better

Comment

I was thinking of you to stain but that wouldn't look very natural

Comment

And it's also not that wierd...

Comment

Originally posted by ajk713
              And it's also not that wierd...
              Yeah it is Andy. Im assuming not alot of people get paint on there bokken!

And thanks for the replies. The only problem is about the sanding is that it would deteriorate the shape of the sword. But great idea.

O and Andy? I don't want to scratch it off, it could damage it, which I don't like.

Comment

Originally posted by kenshin13
                Yeah it is Andy. Im assuming not alot of people get paint on there bokken!
                It is quite common actually. It usually comes from hitting the ceiling or walls while doing suburi. I got a little bit of yellow paint in it when I was doing my othr obsession: Warhammer

Comment

ah but wouldn't light sanding work? like high density sand paper... you know... the stuff that does fine sanding and smoothing... not the coarse stuff that rips wood to pieces.

as for staining or painting or varnishing, my bokuto (which is black.. personal choice) has been painted with a sort of lacquer which seems to hold well. i foresee myself getting a black vivid/permanant marker and fixing scratches :P

Comment

Steel wool.

Comment

scratch it off.. cant damage it that badly... if u sand it.. u will have to sand the whole thing, stain the whole thing and varnish the whole thing.. take a risk if u hate it afterwards jus get another one and donate the old one to ur club or somethin'. i mean our club has a bokken that has tons of duck tape on it.. lol! *oh dear* lots of our club stuff has duck tape on it.. then its only flodded a few times.. could try nail polish remover?! depends what kind of paint..

Comment

btw i thought this was going to be a topic on what u think was the weirdest question.. lol i was thinking using the shinai as a stake in the garden... or attaching some brissles to the end to use as a shinai and paintbrush.. to clean out toe jam... ummm

Comment

im in agreement with the concensus here... as i have ran my tip into the cieling multiple times (gotten pretty good at drywall now) just lightly sand that area then re stain it.. but be careful with what stain you use since you dont want a two tone bokken

Comment

Simple solution. Have one Bokken for practising Kata in the dojo (and keep that clean and shiney) and have another for just practising at home (So it doesn't matter it is gets beaten up a bit!). A Bokken costs about 10. Problem solved.

Comment

3m corp makes a white scrub pad that won't damage your bokken.. I use it to wash paint off wood / stainless steel and other surfaces.. doesn't scratch

assuming your talking about water based paint " latex " and not oil base this will work fine

if it's oil based try it anyway.. paint thinner on a rag or old sock.. very light quick wipe and scrub then fast wipe off with a soap rinse .. dish soap / windex etc. many times might work and not take off the lacquer finish (shiny overcoat)

if not then sand and refinish isn't hard to do.. maybe 1-2 hours work then just dry.. good chance to look under the finish for cracks anyway.. or even more simple is to just put on new lacquer

http://www.instawares.com/Scotch-Bri....MCO98.0.7.htm

is the type of scrub pad.. most stores have this for cheap sold single.. grocery, hardware, paint shops... sometimes attached to a sponge

hope helps

Comment

Working...
                              X