Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• shinai and bokken buying questions

i'm looking to purchase some kendo equipment

i'm definitely getting a shinai (which size 41, 46, or 47 in. i don't know)

for bokkens, i want to get both a suburito and a daito but since my parents think 2 of those might be pushing it, which one to buy?

and does anyone know any good sites for buying MA equipment and uniforms, not just for kendo.

i'm drifting towards the suburito because i lift and i think this would be a better alternative to lifting as well as helping my sword skills

thank you and good day

Ask your sensei what is the right sized shinai for you.

Suburito is an extra training tool. You'll need a regular bokken for kata.

Comment

???

what's the difference between a suburito and a daito anyway???

Comment

Originally posted by neko kenshi
        what's the difference between a suburito and a daito anyway???
        A suburito is a bokken that is much heavier than usual. There is also a special kind or suburito that ressembles an oar, to replicate Miyamoto Musashi's bokken he carved. And I'm not EXACTLY sure, but I think a daito is just a longer type of bokken, 40" is what I have seen them at.

Comment

The daito (long sword) is the longer of the pair of swords. It's the regular length of bokken most people buy. Later on when you learn the kodachi kata, you buy a shorter one called (duh) a kodachi. Another name for it would be shoto (short sword).

Comment

Originally posted by Neil Gendzwill
            The daito (long sword) is the longer of the pair of swords. It's the regular length of bokken most people buy. Later on when you learn the kodachi kata, you buy a shorter one called (duh) a kodachi. Another name for it would be shoto (short sword).
            what's the one that is sized in the middle of the daito and shoto? It's got a regular two handed handle, but just a shorter blade than the daito.

Comment

Daito usually refers to any blade longer than 2 shaku (1 shaku ~= 1 foot ~= 30.5 cm). A standard blade (if you buy an inexpensive iaito, for example) is typically 2.35 shaku. So what you're thinking of is probably still a daito as 2 shaku would be noticably shorter (~4 inches). A shoto would be between 1 and 2 shaku. Under 1 shaku, it's a tanto. Generally speaking, case by case, and notwithstanding all the exceptions the nihonto purists will throw in my direction.

Comment

Originally posted by JapaneseKnight
                for bokkens, i want to get both a suburito and a daito but since my parents think 2 of those might be pushing it, which one to buy?
                I prefer the beef burrito at Chipotle.

Comment

I want to go jousting.

Comment

all 3?

how could i put all 3 into my training?
                    like what would i do so i would have to use all 3 seperately and not substitute one for another or use one more often?

how do u use suburito in training?
                    i know bokken for kata and shinai for impact and sparring

Comment

Originally posted by JapaneseKnight
                      how could i put all 3 into my training?
                      like what would i do so i would have to use all 3 seperately and not substitute one for another or use one more often?

how do u use suburito in training?
                      i know bokken for kata and shinai for impact and sparring
                      Suburito are only for strength training They are heavier than a regular shinai.

Kaoru

Comment

Oops, the edit limit is up, and I can't fix my post. That should read "bokuto" instead of shinai. I was thinking of the suburi shinai which is like a suburito, except it is a shinai instead. Sorry about that.

Kaoru

Comment

BTW, Minna-san, JapaneseKnight is Tadaktsu. He has replied in his other thread. He was civil and asked nicely here, so that is why I was civil in return.

Kaoru

Comment

yea

im just gonna buy a samurai sword..i found some awesome kenjutsu stuff!
                            blood withdrawal and stuff

Comment

Tadaktsu/ JapaneseKnight

You have a goddamn nerve, junior.

You dare to think you can insult everyone in another thread and then just smarm your way into getting information by asking politely? Seems you really are as stupid as you appear to be. You only get a chance to make one first impression, and to be honest my impression of you is that you're a total twat.

Comment

Working...
                              X