Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• what is bio shinai??

Hi,All

I found a bio shinai on the web.It is smoken and looks black.It is said this shinai is hader than other shinai.I'm a little confused by it.What is it on earth and who shuold use it?

Can you post the link where you found that kina shinai?

Comment

there 's aone on chiba bogu.
      www.chibabogu.com
      the keeper explan but I 'm still confused.

Comment

Originally posted by jasmine
        there 's aone on chiba bogu.
        www.chibabogu.com
        the keeper explan but I 'm still confused.
        The bio-shinai is a shinai that has been specially treated (I think smoked) for some reason or another. Sorry I can't provide a better answer right now, I'm seriously impeded when I don't have immediate access to a Japanese input system. I'll try again tomorrow.
        I've heard mixed reports.

Comment

The "Bio" Shinai

The Bio-shinai is a bamboo shinai that has been low-temperature "cooked" in resin. The process cause the greater portion of the moisture in the intercellular spaces of the bamboo to be displaced by the resin in which it is cooked in. The resin solidifies and becomes integral to the substance of the shinai.

The process produces a shinai that is not as affected by humidity changes as a normal untreated shinai, and one that is much stronger.

The Bio shinai is still, a bamboo shinai, therefore, it is not indestructible; however, for most kenshi, it will last longer than an untreated shinai, and for the advance expert with good technique, the Bio shinai will last a long time.

Athough the Bio shinai may not be as durable as synthetic shinai, it provides an excellent alternative to those who prefer a bamboo shinai, one which the dry climate in their country will not render fragile and easily broken in day or weeks.

The Bio shinai is also ideal for the serious kenshi who has a daily kendo lifestyle. Multiple practices per week, and the accumulation of small damage inflicted upon one's shinai, result in constant shinai repair and replacement. There is also the practical problem of how many shinai one can keep and carry at one time. The Bio shinai is a good alternative with its durability and long life. No need to carry several shinai to every practice, or keep a stock at home, a stock that is constantly drying out.

Based on your inquiry, I will provide a more extensive explanation about the shinai in our online-store.

In any case, thank you for your interest, and comment about this item. In the coming days we will be introducing a "koto" or 'old sword' version of the Bio shinai, a straight-bodied shinai in the fashion of the earliest bamboo shinai used in kendo.

Kind regards,

mkomoto

For, Chiba Budougu, Ltd.
          www.chibabogu.com
          info@chibabogu.com

Comment

Thank you for the detailed explanation.

Comment

Also since it has been cooked, it is amber color.
              just like shinai made from 'susu-take'

Comment

Thank you for the explanation. I have one doubt though. None of the shinai specificate whether they have round or oval tsuka. I imagine they are all round. Is that correct?

Comment

Here in SoCal people have been soaking shinai in oil (vegtable or linseed) since time imemorial. Same idea as soaking a Luisvill Slugger in motor oil. Less likely to splinter & break.

Comment

Mr. Komoto, would it be possible to provide the weights for your shinais on your webpage?

Cheers,

Jakob

Comment

Bio Shinai Specifications

Dear Mr. Schmidt,

As a matter of fact, I was just in today to shoot photos, take measurements and the weights of the various shinai we are offering.

Today, we added another variation, the "Koto" or 'old sword' model of Bio shinai. It has a straight body, almost like a tube. This is representive of the first shinai developed in the early days of shinai-kendo development.

I'll be adding these details of the Bio shinai as an "Information" page, separate from the ordering portion of the online-store ("Information" pages are listed in the upper right-hand column of the top page.)

Thanks for you inquiry, and request for more information.

Cheers to all,

MK

Comment

Thank you for your detailed replies mkomoto-san. I wonder, I only see "dobari" styled bio shinais on the chibabogu website, does chibabogu make a kanto/chokuto version of the bioshinai?

Comment

My apologies, I just visited chibabogu's webpage. And I saw the koto style under the "weapon/shinai" page.

Comment

Originally posted by mkomoto
                            The Bio-shinai is a bamboo shinai that has been low-temperature "cooked" in resin. The process cause the greater portion of the moisture in the intercellular spaces of the bamboo to be displaced by the resin in which it is cooked in. The resin solidifies and becomes integral to the substance of the shinai.

The process produces a shinai that is not as affected by humidity changes as a normal untreated shinai, and one that is much stronger.

The Bio shinai is still, a bamboo shinai, therefore, it is not indestructible; however, for most kenshi, it will last longer than an untreated shinai, and for the advance expert with good technique, the Bio shinai will last a long time.

Athough the Bio shinai may not be as durable as synthetic shinai, it provides an excellent alternative to those who prefer a bamboo shinai, one which the dry climate in their country will not render fragile and easily broken in day or weeks.

The Bio shinai is also ideal for the serious kenshi who has a daily kendo lifestyle. Multiple practices per week, and the accumulation of small damage inflicted upon one's shinai, result in constant shinai repair and replacement. There is also the practical problem of how many shinai one can keep and carry at one time. The Bio shinai is a good alternative with its durability and long life. No need to carry several shinai to every practice, or keep a stock at home, a stock that is constantly drying out.

Based on your inquiry, I will provide a more extensive explanation about the shinai in our online-store.

In any case, thank you for your interest, and comment about this item. In the coming days we will be introducing a "koto" or 'old sword' version of the Bio shinai, a straight-bodied shinai in the fashion of the earliest bamboo shinai used in kendo.

Kind regards,

mkomoto

For, Chiba Budougu, Ltd.
                            www.chibabogu.com
                            info@chibabogu.com

Thanks for the reply!

Comment

jasmine, u getting the bio shinai then ?

let us know how it is when u get it

I'm new to Kendo too ! been playing for 2 months now.

Comment

Working...
                              X