Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

thanks a bunch. this answered my question

Comment

It seems I'm unable to access the links given. Is there any other link with the most recent rules from the FIK rulebook? And no, I do not have access to a hard copy, and I can't even get to the FIK store to order one.

Comment

Originally posted by Abramo View Post
        It seems I'm unable to access the links given. Is there any other link with the most recent rules from the FIK rulebook? And no, I do not have access to a hard copy, and I can't even get to the FIK store to order one.
        Google is your friend!

http://www.google.com.au/search?rlz=...ai+competition

Comment

Curious, other than weight and dimensions, are there other regulations on the shinai?

Material, balance, components, color etc?

Comment

Originally posted by alfanator View Post
            Curious, other than weight and dimensions, are there other regulations on the shinai?
            Material
            Article 3 of Regulations for Kendo Shiai and Shinpan: Shinai shall be made of bamboo, or of other synthetic material as a substitute of bamboo approved by ALL JAPAN KENDO FEDERATION.

[I only know of the carbon-core plastic shinai (Hasegawa et. al.) as such a material.]

balance
            Nope.

components
            Article 2 of the Subsidiary Rules
            par. 1: Shinai shall consist of four slats and shall not include therein other objects than the core inside Sakigawa and Chigiri inlaid at the end of Tsuka [a thin metal plate that binds the slats together, like the Force does with the Universe]. The names of the respective parts of Shinai are indicated in Figure 2 [fig. 2 shows all parts including the leather ones and tsuru, whence we know what the official parts must be. It does not, however, specify material for the accessories.]
            par. 3: Tsuba shall be round in shape and be made of leather or synthetic material.[...]

color
            Nope

etc?
            Couldn't find any etcs.

Comment

Originally posted by Abramo View Post
              [I only know of the carbon-core plastic shinai (Hasegawa et. al.) as such a material.]
              I don't think there's an "et al" - it's bamboo or Hasegawa. They don't have a competitor AFAIK.

Comment

Is the official rules written the same as the chart in the OP, 12-15, 15-18, and 18+? Does this mean persons who are 15 and 18 years of age can choose between the categories of which they overlap depending on their preference/body size?

Comment

Originally posted by nebosuke View Post
                  Does this mean persons who are 15 and 18 years of age can choose between the categories of which they overlap depending on their preference/body size?
                  Basically no.

Although these rules are published by the FIK, they are directly translated from the Japanese Rules. The ages have been added to the English translation to give them some kind of relevance. However, the Japanese rules only state Junior High School Students (中学生), High School Students (高校生) and Universtiy Students/ Adults (大学生・一般).

The only mention of age is with the second category (Max length 117cm / Min. weight 480g/420g), which has a small note saying this also applies to people of 'High School Age' - as High School is technically not compulsory. However, outside of Major National Tournaments (All Japans etc.) and Junior/Highschool/University Shiai, there are hardly ever Shinai checks in Japan, and the weight regulations have mainly been written to govern Japanese student-level Shiai.

The main point to note is that someone who is 15,16 or 17 can not use a 39 length Shinai under the regulations, and neither are 18 year olds who are not yet old enough to have graduated High School.

Comment

Excellent, thank you!

Comment

The FIK rules are for competition and stipulate "Maximum lengths" for shinai that are used in competition.

Comment

Working...
                      X