X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• IKF specifications for shinais

Specifications for shinais drawn from The Regulations of Kendo Shiai and Shinpan, effective 23 March 2000. Published by The International Kendo Federation are at the following link:
    http://home.vicnet.net.au/~kendo/shinai.html

Thanks very much!

Comment

Is it possible to "sticky" this thread?

Comment

seen a few ppl get around those rules... shave their shinais.... and then add wax to the handle end to change the balance. I haven't seen a judge check the shinais yet...

Comment

510gm minimum ?? Mine barely makes it..funny one of my friends more expensive shinai did not pass in weight but a cheap standard one did..easily triple the price of the cheaper one..ironic huh ?

Comment

Just oil your shinai a little bit longer and it'll get heavier

Comment

Anybody know what the maximum legal tsuba size is? I asked the same question on another thread and never got a reply. The biggest ones I've seen ones for sale say "approximatly 9cm diameter" or something similar. The el-cheapo ones that come with the low-end shinai I buy are about 8 cm.

Comment

Originally posted by Stimpson J. Cat
                Anybody know what the maximum legal tsuba size is? I asked the same question on another thread and never got a reply. The biggest ones I've seen ones for sale say "approximatly 9cm diameter" or something similar. The el-cheapo ones that come with the low-end shinai I buy are about 8 cm.
                Oh,the maxium legal size is just 9cm.

Comment

Originally posted by Mitsurugi_xx
                  seen a few ppl get around those rules... shave their shinais.... and then add wax to the handle end to change the balance. I haven't seen a judge check the shinais yet...
                  No they never check at local level, but they do check at national level. But not for weights.

Tim

Comment

Im supprised there are fixed lengths for shinais, how long has this been going on?

Comment

its pretty desperate to make minor modifications 2 ur shinai, this isnt formula one or nething...

Comment

myeah, the chanses of anyone ver weighing your shinai are quite slim...

Comment

Originally posted by MrUnWaki
                          Im supprised there are fixed lengths for shinais, how long has this been going on?
                          Ever since that guy with the flagpole shinai showed up.

Comment

Originally posted by [Kensei 剣の聖者]
                            its pretty desperate to make minor modifications 2 ur shinai, this isnt formula one or nething...
                            i think exactly the opposite.

IMHO, if you can't notice the slightest change in your shinai, then you're really not one with your sword.

i usually train and compete with the same shinai for that reason. i know the very specific modifications ive done to my shinai and it takes some time to be 100% comfy used to grabbing and swinging it

Comment

Originally posted by Paburo
                              i think exactly the opposite.

IMHO, if you can't notice the slightest change in your shinai, then you're really not one with your sword.

i usually train and compete with the same shinai for that reason. i know the very specific modifications ive done to my shinai and it takes some time to be 100% comfy used to grabbing and swinging it

im not so sure about that, u know the old Workman and his tools argument, i think if ur a good kendoka u should be able to pick up any shinai as long as its not radically different (ie 5 times as long) and do good kendo with it.. its like a tennis racket really, all these players r so fussed bout string tension and all that crap but lets be honest if your good your good even if your playing with a wooden racket (which John Macenroe still plays with funnily enough)

Comment

Working...
                              X