X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Shinia strings question

Ok,,,,got my first Shinai....and have just started to learn about it...

I was useing it to do a few of the very first things I have been taught, when the little strings all came untied....

Im not sure yet for the correct name for the little 3 strings, but I do know enough that I better watch so I always have them and that they are in the correct position.

my question is, What type of string can I use to replace the strings that are clearly now comming untied all the time. Also is there a rule in Kendo about this string?....so that when I get something to replace the strings now, I will still be covered under the correct forms?

I would call my teacher about this, but he is out of town now until past Christmas and I wish to keep useing the shinia

Comprehensive guide to the shinai parts here: http://www.halifaxkendo.org/shinai.html.

Not sure what 'three strings' you mean. I can think of one (the tsuru) - maybe two (the tsuru and the nakayui) but this should help.

Comment

You're not on about the three strings individually tied around the shinai at various heights are you? They tend to be coloured from what I have seen on new shinai.

If so, you should have removed them in the first place - they are just part of the packaging.

Sorry if this is not what you were on about.

Cheers

Comment

trout,,,,YES!!!,,,thats them!!!!!....

However,,,I need you to be sure,,,,I will cut them right off as you say,,,,BUT are you sure?

Im sure you are speaking about the very 3 little strings that are on my brand new shinai that I meant,,,and yes, I see how they must be just for to help ship the sword around in the mail,,,,,

But I dont want to make a mistake,,,,are you sure ?

Comment

They're shipping ties, cut them off. Here's something to watch for in martial arts movies - if you see those little red ties, it means the stunt people were so clueless that they didn't even know to take off the packaging.

You also need to take apart your shinai, sand and oil it, before you start hitting anything.

Comment

Ok,,,,,I have cut the strings,,,thats that

Thanks all for the help,,,Im new and wanted to do all according to the respect I should show a real sword of steel....

My teacher has yet to teach me about hitting,,,,I will learn all in good time,,,so thats why my string problem was a concern for me during the next few days when I will show my Shinai to my frinds and family.....

Thanks again,,,,,and unless there is more,,,,this should close this topic.

Comment

I found this site to be very helpfull when I took apart and prepared my shinai for the first time. I didn't mess with the Sakigawa knot just slipped the whole thing off the top and left it tied.

http://www.kendo-usa.org/reference/firststrike.htm

Comment

Hello and welcome to the forum.

Your sensei can explain to you, how to take care of your shinai. He can also give you advice, where to buy good quality shinai. (Sometimes vendors sell them on tournaments)

Our teacher shows the beginners from time to time how to take apart and reassemble a shinai. Its not as hard as it looks in the beginning.

Have fun with kendo ;-)

Comment

yes, I remember he did talk about lots of stuff dealing with shinai care. But he also said not to get too upset at the fact that the learning curve will be such that I should not get too attatched to the first few shinai I own.

I dont know what grade of shinai I got,,,it was just one he sold to me for $25

He had a few of different sizes, and I remember he did hold up a few to find the one for me to start with. also I remember my shinai is shorter than the one he had, and after he picked out one for me, he also searched in a hanger for one the was equal as short for him to use with me.

Comment

Working...
                  X