X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Shinai help!! PLEASE!

Hi, about a year ago I purchased two standard shinai's size 38. I was unaware that mainly women actually have size 38 and me being a man I got some rude comments from my dojo. Anyways, I am looking for a shinai that is extremely durable, I have been looking at KUNIMASA Complete Size 39 however I don't know if it is a good practice shinai, Please help me I am in desperate need of a shani because at the moment I have not a single non-damaged shinai. Thanks in advanced.

check out at this site .
    they have all kinds of top-grade shinais , mostly size 39 for men.

http://www.e-bogu.com/Shinai_s/20.htm

If you are in one of those really dry weather..i think u should
    be thinking about purchasing a carbon shinai..
    becuz its not worth it to break a shinai in a month or two..

~0~.....

Comment

Kunimasa Shinai

This is a very good shinai. If you want one and can afford it, by all means go ahead. I wouldn't call it a practice shinai though. I recommend that you get it along with one or two practice grade shinai. Use the Kunimasa sparingly and it will last a long time.

Comment

Buy more, its capitalism working for you.

Dont buy a shinai.

Buy two the exact same when you order them, dont do it online, call to order. Ask them to match the two shinai, so that all the slats match. That way when one slat in one shinai breaks you can save the unbroken slats and reuse them later when the second shinai develops a broken slat. Youll then be building a third and fourth shinai from the saved pieces. Its like getting the life of three or four shinai out of two. Youll spend more now but save more later.

K

Comment

Both of my senseis, plus one of the sandans at my dojo recommend that if you're going to buy a top-grade shinai, especially if you're thinking of getting carbon-graphite, use it for practice and use a bamboo shinai for shiai. The C-G can take more abuse, and since you're going to be at practice more than at shiai, it makes sense.

The only drawback to buying a top-grade shinai is that if you break a stave, you may not be able to replace it with a stave that matches the other 3 in your shinai. C-G doesn't have as much of a problem, since it's artificially made, but natural bamboo.

I've read that if you're going to buy a high-quality shinai, that you also ask for several shinais that match or at least, buy the bamboo and then if a stave breaks, at least the replacement stave will pretty much mesh in with the other 3.

(gee, I feel like I'm rambling....)

Comment

Originally posted by GodLikeSpeed
            Hi, about a year ago I purchased two standard shinai's size 38. I was unaware that mainly women actually have size 38 and me being a man I got some rude comments from my dojo. Anyways, I am looking for a shinai that is extremely durable, I have been looking at KUNIMASA Complete Size 39 however I don't know if it is a good practice shinai, Please help me I am in desperate need of a shani because at the moment I have not a single non-damaged shinai. Thanks in advanced.
            Go to www.eguchi.net and buy their cheapest size 39 shinai.

Comment

Originally posted by Hai_hai
              Go to www.eguchi.net and buy their cheapest size 39 shinai.
              I agree.

In fact, if you can order 5 of their bulk shinai (get others to order with you if necessary), not only are they inexpensive, but shipping is free in the U.S. for orders over $50.00.

We've used them and they've been fine.

Comment

Originally posted by Ryukyu
                I agree.

In fact, if you can order 5 of their bulk shinai (get others to order with you if necessary), not only are they inexpensive, but shipping is free in the U.S. for orders over $50.00.

We've used them and they've been fine.
                I'm partial to Eguchi Shinais as well.

Their Practice Shinais are great. The $35 Aun is popular.
                My favorite is their Madake (Morimoto)-it's beautiful and feels so amazingly balanced.

Comment

Working...
                X