X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How many shinai

I have heard that everyone should get atleast three shinai. One for tounarments and two for practice. Do you really need this many?

I think three is good number. I do always carry two shinais( one for practice($35) and other is for shiai($65)). I also have parts for each shinais. But I am considering to buy another one for practice. But you should have at least two. Buy two cheap one, it is okay. Especially, I've seen many people do jigeiko and broke their shinai and try to fix it.. Invest another $35...

Originally posted by Richiro
    I have heard that everyone should get atleast three shinai. One for tounarments and two for practice. Do you really need this many?

Comment

Using two shinais together will give you longer usuage as you can replace starves each other. Many people use normal/heavier shinai for practice and use lighter dobari style shinai for shiai. It is very important to carry at least two shinais when you go to the dojo. I always have a spare shinai ready and leave it close during jigeiko in case it brakes.
      Last edited by Taek; 31st December 2004, 04:38 PM.

Comment

Okay...... I saw some high end shinai on http://www.e-bogu.com/Shinai_s/20.htm are these the kind you would use for shiai.

Comment

You are going to start kendo, so you don't need so many yet when you begin. And if you buy so many at the start, you won't know which kind of shinai you like best then. ^_^

Comment

re

Richiro, I think you are the right path. Youre working hard to acquire data and understand it. Hold off on spending money until you have enough experience to know what you like and dislike.

Most kendo clubs offer cheap shinai for beginners that they buy in bulk. These are fine to start with.
            Last edited by Munnin; 1st January 2005, 01:25 AM.

Comment

na...1 shinai is good enough for you until u get ur shodan..

Comment

shodan..... Thats the rank after ikkyu right?

Comment

I have two shinai. One for practice and one for shiai.
                  I used a good one for shiai, off course.

Comment

Buy one when sensei tells you to, you'll want to have a backup when you go to your first tournament, in case you break one as you'll usually see a few get broken during a tournament. As to when to get the second one, I got a second one a couple months after being told to buy my first one in order to have a backup for practice, but I would think any time from when you get the first one to your first tai kai would be fine.

Comment

all you need it two, when one breaks use the other one, then when both are broken make two into one

Comment

I have three myself. I found oval grips and never looked back. I tried round again after getting used to oval and hated it. The three I have get rotated in useage. Two go to the dojo, one to use the other as back up and the third I have apart for maintenance at home. I just rotate em every other class.

Comment

I carry at least two shinai, just in case one breaks. For tournaments, I usually take three shinai.

Comment

You only need 1 until you wear bogu, and then you should have 2 in case one breaks. Eventually you will have a little shinai graveyard in your basement (or wherever), where you can build frankenshinai as required.

Comment

You shoul take at least 2 shinais to practice if you wear bogu. Don't let one broken shinai gets in the way of a valuable session of kendo.

If you are going to a shiai then take at least 2 shinais that you have inspected before hand. I have personally had a pre-oiled-and-inspected shinai broke on me 5 minutes before the first match, luckily I had a spare.

Although I am lucky in that I could just rock down to my local boguya and buy whatever shinai I want at really low prices.

Comment

Working...
                              X