New shinai care and feeding.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New shinai care and feeding.

Just starting out in Kendo and got our shinai this week. A few youtube videos have recommended taking apart a new shinai and oiling the staves. Any concensous on whether this is a good idea, bad idea, or just something up to personal discretion? If not, any alternatives, or is there anything else I need to do with a brand new shinai? Thanks in advance.

I think the benefits of prepping your shinai depend a lot on where you practice. I'm in the NYC area where the humidity isn't significantly different than Tokyo's. I never noticed that prepping my shinai make them last longer. Prepping shinai might make a difference if you practice some place drier, like Arizona.

Comment

I have never prepped mine. Here in Japan it’s humid in summer but bone dry in winter.

Comment

i take apart and prep every new shinai i get, i pull them apart, sand the edges smooth, and coat them with a heavy coat of lemon oil......let them sit for a few hours, wipe off the excess, and reassemble.

and then once or twice a month i will take them down fully and inspect them and give them a light coat of oil.

especially since they are uncoated....the idea of not oiling shinai makes me paranoid they are going to dry out

Comment

Working...
        X