X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Shinai for Jodan

Can anyone recommend a good cheap (ish) shinai that is suitable for jodan? Particularly someone just starting jodan.

Not for me by the way.

Gibbo

Originally posted by The great I AM
    Can anyone recommend a good cheap (ish) shinai that is suitable for jodan? Particularly someone just starting jodan.

Not for me by the way.

Gibbo
    Color me ignorant, but what characteristics would a jodan player be looking for?

Comment

The X500 for the fastest men on earth!

Comment

I would reccomend Eguchi's basic model shinai. It is strong but very evenly balanced. Also, I have found that it is slightly lighter than other shinai's. I think any jodan player should be able to use any shinai, but this one is a good starter. Hope this helps. Cheers!

Comment

Shouldn't a kendoka using jodan be able to use any standard shinai? I suppose one might want a lighter shinai to make it a little easier on the arms but I guess I thought that it wouldn't really matter (mind you I've never tried using jodan so I woudln't know).

Comment

I've experiemented a fair bit and I always return to the bog-standard el-cheapo shinai. (ie the Wakaba/Tada-san ones).
            I did have Tada-san try to hunt down some more suitable madake shinais and while they're supremly well balanced, they are still a tad too heavy for jodan. I still use them for jodan practice, but that's more to build strength and to show weaknesses in my cut, as any errors will be amplified.
            What he should be getting is:
            Super-long tsukagawa. 40+. I got a couple of ancient ones which have stretched a lot and the new ones from Tada-san are reasonably long too. Ask around for peoples ancient tsukagawas if necessary.
            Small tsuba. No need for the supersized ones.

Jakob

Comment

I like a shinai with a large diameter tsuka that is very tip-light for jodan. Sorry, no specific models to recommend.

Comment

This will be a helpful thread for me, I was told by one of our sensei that I should try practice using jodan once my right wrist recovers. I didn't know that practicing jodan will also means that I may choose different types of shinai.

Any guide lines that I should take to prepare myself for it? I'm currently doing more waza everyday with my left arm to strengthen it, but progress very slow.

Comment

Shinai for Jodan

One that blocks tsuki, I suppose.

(Sorry, couldn't resist.)

Comment

Originally posted by stuartwilson
                    One that blocks tsuki, I suppose.

(Sorry, couldn't resist.)
                    Sorry, but am I the only one not able to understand what you meant?

Comment

Originally posted by Miravil
                      Sorry, but am I the only one not able to understand what you meant?
                      If you`re gonna try Jodan you`re gonna find out pretty soon.

Comment

Originally posted by Jearom
                        If you`re gonna try Jodan you`re gonna find out pretty soon.
                        I know that for a jodan kendoka, he/she will get tsuki at more than normal. Cause it is one of the way to score by the opponent before the jodan kendoka strikes. I just don't understand what he was directing at with his sentense.

Comment

Originally posted by Neil Gendzwill
                          I like a shinai with a large diameter tsuka that is very tip-light for jodan. Sorry, no specific models to recommend.
                          Thanks Neil and Jakob, I sort of suspected as much. I'll see what we can manage, but in the mean time, if anyone else has any (serious) ideas, then please do stick 'em here.

Oh and Paikea, try swinging a katatemen with a fat handled tip light shinai, then a big tip heavy chokuto, then you'll get it! Its for one of my students who basically cannot do chudan because of stuff wrong with his ankles when he was born. Since getting into armour he hasn't really practised for more than 15 minutes because of the pain in his left ankle, but because his right doesn't have the same problems we decided to change him over to jodan. Last night he did his first full lesson since March, so I think its the right choice! Just got to get him an easily swingable shinai.

Gibbo

Comment

Originally posted by The great I AM
                            we decided to change him over to jodan. Last night he did his first full lesson since March, so I think its the right choice! Just got to get him an easily swingable shinai.
                            Gibbo
                            Good idea.
                            Perhaps let him start with a 38 shinai. Like that he'll not over exercise his right arm and shoulder, then when he'll be used to jodan change to 39.

Comment

Well, he got the Xmas break to build up strength..
                              Using a ladies shinai to initially do the kihon might not be a bad idea, but he needs to do suburi at home..and lots of it.
                              While I think you can happily get away with not doing suburi at home for chudan, the extra strength required for jodan makes it necessary to practice at home.

Jakob

Comment

Working...
                              X