X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New to Kendo. Help?

Hey all, I'm pretty new to kendo...I've dabbled in sword play for a long time...but I've not done much at all in kendo.....Do any of you care to share with me what I should do to further my knowledge..

Your first step should be to find a dojo.

Comment

Done that.....Unfortunately, there are none in my area. Hence the reason I've come here....maybe glean some training tips...or places online I might go to get some tips on form and what not...

Comment

Sorry, we don't do that here. Where are you exactly, we may be able to help you find a dojo.

Comment

Unfortunately you can not reliably train without getting the necessary feedback on your form and technique that a sensei will be able to give you. To learn properly you really need someone that knows what they are doing teach you. If you don't then you are almost assuredly going to develop bad habits that will mess you up even after you are able to go to a dojo to learn. There are a myriad books, videos and even websites that go through techniques, but none are meant to take the place of a sensei. Where abouts do you live? Are you sure there are no dojos within your reach?

Comment

I live in Kansas....I've done a dojo search...but I've not been able to find one in my area....the closest one I've found is over 150 miles away

Comment

arrrrrrr. This really sucks... I know your pain and agony. But I have to advise you to wait. Watching Starwars 1-6 won't help your Kendo skills that mucho !!!!

Originally posted by Dance of Death
              I live in Kansas....I've done a dojo search...but I've not been able to find one in my area....the closest one I've found is over 150 miles away

Comment

Hmmm... well that is unfortunate. The only dojo in Kansas I know of is in Overland Park (just a bit over the line from Mo in Kansas City). But it is still not really advisable to try and learn kendo on your own using just reading material or even videos.

Comment

All I can think of is that guy who came on a month or two back saying that there are too many asians from california in kendo and that there is a good 'ol boys network of asian kenshi.

If you are reading this, HERE! Start an officially recognized dojo in Mo or KS. Put your money where your mouth is and start something in KS.

Tim

Comment

Think of it as wanting a Big Mac, but since there are no McDonald's in your area (hypothetically), you COULD make one of your own, since you know the ingredients, right? Oh, except for that "special sauce", that is the teaching you would receive from a sensei, you can't do it on your own.

Comment

Originally posted by Dance of Death
                      Everything is 150mi away in KS. Again, exactly where do you live?

Comment

Mr. Data: Captain, we are picking up a distress call on an open emergency channel requesting kendo teaching through comm channels only.

Capt. Picard: Send the usual recorded message number five Mr. Data. I grow tired of this and want some earl grey tea... hot....

Comm. System Automated message: Dear lost vessel seeking internet kendo training... have you emailed the nearest dojo and asked them if there are any smaller groups or clubs near your location that do not advertise and are not listed on the internet. Many sites and groups only find each other through the word of mouth communications from the bigger groups. Send them an email or a call. They may know somewhere closer than you know. Research isn't always easy, but that far away dojo is your first clue. Work from there.

End of communication.

Meanwhile...
                        Capt. Picard: I hope the crew doesn't learn that I have reprogrammed the replicators that when I order earl grey tea it is really spiked with sake... gulp...

Comment

Haha, I haven't tried the star wars thing...though I know a few who have, but I know better than to rely on theatrics as a teacher....

Comment

Hey Dorothy, these guys will be able to help you more if you say whereabouts in Kansas you are.

Comment

South Central.....wichita.....Name's Jake by the way...*bows*

Comment

Working...
                              X