• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Does anybody practice

in this kind of weather without A/C???
    Where temp about 100 degree????
    for the record, I'm in NYC

We did a few summers ago in an old gym with no A/C

... the thermostat inside the building read something like 97-F ....

Those were the worst days of kendo that I can remember. Hated it. H.A.T.E.D. I.T.

Comment

We do all summer long, in a gym with no a/c. It does have one floor fan in it but it deosn't really do much unless you're standing right in front of it. Last night was so hot it was right at 99-100 degrees F air temp and humid (heat index was supposed to be 103-106). We practiced kata for the first hour or so (we start at 6pm) and then went on to ippon matches vs sensei and after that ji-geiko with each other. But we practice in the gym all summer and it regularly gets into the 90's air temp and over 100 heat index. Normally we are in bogu most of the practice as well but it was so hot last yesterday we decided to work on kata to begin.

Comment

Ugh.. I hated that summer with 100 degrees in the gym...no fan, no nothing. Just staleness. Stifling is the word I'm looking for... and I've been 30 years in Memphis with our bad humidity/heat....

100+ in a gym is something I imagine one CAN grow accustomed to, but... sheesh... ~80ish degrees is just fine with me.

Comment

Originally posted by MikeW
          We do all summer long, in a gym with no a/c. It does have one floor fan in it but it deosn't really do much unless you're standing right in front of it. Last night was so hot it was right at 99-100 degrees F air temp and humid (heat index was supposed to be 103-106). We practiced kata for the first hour or so (we start at 6pm) and then went on to ippon matches vs sensei and after that ji-geiko with each other. But we practice in the gym all summer and it regularly gets into the 90's air temp and over 100 heat index. Normally we are in bogu most of the practice as well but it was so hot last yesterday we decided to work on kata to begin.
          I nv you!!
          I haven't gone to dojo in three days because of the hot weather. My dojo only have 2 floor fans..

Comment

Originally posted by tango
            Ugh.. I hated that summer with 100 degrees in the gym...no fan, no nothing. Just staleness. Stifling is the word I'm looking for... and I've been 30 years in Memphis with our bad humidity/heat....

100+ in a gym is something I imagine one CAN grow accustomed to, but... sheesh... ~80ish degrees is just fine with me.
            80ish sound better then 100+...

Comment

80 would be a luxury right now... today is another hot one just like yesterday... currently 97 air/ 105 heat index... but no kendo tonight.

Comment

Originally posted by MikeW
                80 would be a luxury right now... today is another hot one just like yesterday... currently 97 air/ 105 heat index... but no kendo tonight.
                Same here in NYC, but we are expecting shower and suppose to cool off a little.

Comment

Well good luck, maybe you'll be back in the dojo soon!

Comment

I'm pretty sure this is the same where we all are, but...

for past couple weeks, I'm listening to the radio on the way home from work...

"time now is 5:40; temperature 97, heat index 102.."
                    "time now is 5:35; termperature 96, heat index 105.."

... that's damn near supper time and it's ridiculous.

Comment

I have and the heat can be hell unless you prepare. I used to drink a ton before practice and then I would drink a water or gatorade bottle or two on the way home. The heat never really bothered me until practice was over and then I would realize that I had a nasty headache from dehydration. You can do it, but make sure you take the proper precautions. As annoying as it is, it does make you much tougher than practicing in nice air conditioned spaces.

Comment

i'm in same boat, in philly it's still in the 90's at 10pm!!! i am skipping practice tonight because we train on the top floor of a building with 2 fans, no a/c. it's just asking for trouble if i train in this kind of weather. guess i'm not that tough.

Comment

chang si advise to train yourself in the heat of summer and cold of winter,,, you will appreciate strength from nature, better than hamburger

Comment

Originally posted by Nochi-no-tsuki
                            i'm in same boat, in philly it's still in the 90's at 10pm!!! i am skipping practice tonight because we train on the top floor of a building with 2 fans, no a/c. it's just asking for trouble if i train in this kind of weather. guess i'm not that tough.

Well... missing one practice due to heat is not the end of the world, but in some places the weather is like that for months on end so you have to get used to it if you want to practice...

Comment

We don't have any AC either and my Sensei doesn't like to talk over the floor fan so we don't use it much. It's been around a 100 here too and if I don't drink a ton of water for the whole day befor practice then I get a massive headache. However, it was a cool 85 yesterday and practice was GREAT! After training for a few weeks at around 100, you feel un-stopable when its 85.

Comment

Working...
                              X