X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cross-training Resources

From time to time, people enquire about cross-training for kendo. This post is meant to compile a list of useful resources. This thread will be used to discuss and modify the list for a time, and then will be closed.

Women's weight training - best beginner's page on the net for both men and women
    Exrx (Exercise Prescription) - comprehensive training guide including how-tos for each movement.
    misc.fitness.weights - usenet weight training - caution, flames ahead, but good advice available
    Weight-lifting performance - rule of thumb standards tables for the major lifts
    Runner's World Forums - web-based running discussion
    rec.running - usenet running group
    Fit Day - handy way to track your diet and exercise
    Last edited by Neil Gendzwill; 26th January 2007, 04:08 AM.

Thank you, Neil! May I add that many of the lifts described can be seen on YouTube. But maybe the vids don't show proper form? What do you guys think of this squat:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=45pXxUmDFrg

Perhaps his back is arched? I thought you were supposed to dip your chest forward?

Comment

Originally posted by Charlie View Post
      Thank you, Neil! May I add that many of the lifts described can be seen on YouTube. But maybe the vids don't show proper form?
      Bodybuilding.com has an extensive colletion of videos showing proper form for loads of different exercises. I blieve Crossfit also has a video section.

Comment

Yes, Crossfit does! Hmmm, that's the one.

I like this squat a bit better.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=itG58sd3KUw

Comment

Exrx probably has the most comprehensive set of videos. Krista also has some on her site (the women's weightlifting one).

Comment

Crossfit vids:

http://www.crossfit.com/cf-info/excercise.html

Comment

u know there was an old chinese saying that goes like.. "there are houses made of Gold that can be found from books," .. basically saying that if you read a lot of books you can gain invaluable knowledge from it. I think the phrase needs to be modified to address that treasures i've found on KW and various other internet sites!!!!! thanks Neil and anyone who gave efforts to put together these training programs.

Comment

How about adding Taylor sensei's tarem bo excersises?
                http://ejmas.com/pt/ptart_taylor_1200.htm

Comment

Originally posted by mark View Post
                  How about adding Taylor sensei's tarem bo excersises?
                  http://ejmas.com/pt/ptart_taylor_1200.htm
                  I would not even think of questioning any Sensei, but I was told this might be dangerous to your joints and that it should be a supervised exercise for beginners, is that the case?

Comment

Good info on the deadlift?

http://www.exrx.net/WeightExercises/...BDeadlift.html

Any pointers? I haven't done this yet but I know how to lift, clean and press and I figure its pretty much the same thing? Is the motion of the legs like the squat? In which case - isn't it the same as a squat?

Crossfit says I should be able to deadlift 137-148.

BTW, if there's a spot on the forums that lists all the lifts one thinks one should do for kendo, can anyone point me to it (I've tried searching)? Currently I press, curl, squat and lunge (nut sure the lunge qualifies as a lift). And bench press. (I know, the bench press is useless - but I have a bench so I figured why not!) Do I even need to include deadlift?

Comment

JCM: if the weight was low enough, perhaps the danger to joints is minimal? Not sure how heavy Kim-sensei's tarem bo is.

Comment

I don't deadlift as I don't have access to barbells. The info on exrx is usually reliable. As I understand the deadlift, it is quite a different motion from squats. However many people train squats and deads different days. If you look up the squat on exrx, you can compare the muscles that are used. IIRC there's way more back and hamstring involved in deads.

Comment

Originally posted by Charlie View Post
                          Any pointers? I haven't done this yet but I know how to lift, clean and press and I figure its pretty much the same thing? Is the motion of the legs like the squat? In which case - isn't it the same as a squat?
                          Stand with your feet about shoulder-width apart and your shins touching the bar. Your hand placement (grip) should be on the outside of your legs, so that as you pull, your hands are on the outside of your legs, instead of dragging up your thighs. I recommend using a mixed grip-- one hand with an overhand grip and the other underhand.

Bend your knees and keeping your back flat, begin your pull by pushing off the heels of your feet, dragging the bar up your legs, and keeping it in as close as possible. As the bar comes over the top of your knees, throw your hips into it, locking out at arm's length with your shoulders back. It is important to keep your back flat during the lift. Never try this with a rounded back, or else you'll be inviting a bad injury.

Crossfit says I should be able to deadlift 137-148.
                          Almost certainly. You can probably handle a lot more, but start off light. Maybe 135 lbs until you get the form down and get a good feel for the exercise.

BTW, if there's a spot on the forums that lists all the lifts one thinks one should do for kendo, can anyone point me to it (I've tried searching)?
                          Not that I've seen. If you want my workout, PM me and I can send it to you.

Currently I press, curl, squat and lunge (nut sure the lunge qualifies as a lift). And bench press. (I know, the bench press is useless - but I have a bench so I figured why not!)
                          Bench presses also indirectly work the shoulders and triceps which are of use in kendo. Besides, benching is fun!

Do I even need to include deadlift?
                          Deadlifts work more muscles than squats. It is a great exercise for the lower back, hamstrings, and glutes. It also works the arms, traps, and abs, so it is an excellent total body exercise. This is not to downplay the role of squats whch are also important.

Comment

Thanks, KP! I'd love to have a look at your workout. Can you PM it to me or e-mail me at charliekondek at yahoo dot com?

Comment

if your knees and back are in good condition, jumprope is pretty good.

Comment

Working...
                              X