X
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Good feedback, guys. I wonder how I should structure my intervals?

I like running on a standard-size outdoor track. Should I jog half a length and sprint the other half? Or jog, say, all the way around, sprint on the straightaway, return to more relaxed pace, then repeat? And keep this up by minutes or by miles?

Any good links on this? I've been enjoying TheFinalSprint.com but that seems more interested in distance running.

EDIT: ExRX.net has a big section on this. Think I'll start there.

Comment

Originally posted by Kuma View Post
      Intervals as in the Tabata method, Neil? Is there some other method you'd recommend?
      No, intervals as in the standard wind-sprint stuff. What you want to do is be exercising with your heart rate in the aerobic target zone (60-85% of max), probably on the low side of that. Then change the intensity to go anaerobic (past 85%) for a short period of time, maybe a minute or at most two. Then reduce the intensity and let your heart recover into the aerobic zone. The recovery is the important thing, you must not let your ego get in the way and try to go too hard - get the rate back down lower, then drive it up again. If you can do this 5 or 6 times in a session, that's good. These will increase your aerobic fitness much more quickly than straight running, and they're a lot more analogous to kendo activity too.

Comment

Hm. So do it by time? So, I get on the track, get a jog going, then, when I feel myself at a comfortable jog level, try to sprint for 1 minute, then settle back into jog, and try to repeat this 5 times?

Comment

some time ago we were being trained by a pro, he used to make us run in a soccer field as fast as we could over the short side and go relaxed during the long side... it was very difficult to keep it up for more than 5 rounds. is that the kind of exercise that you are sugesting ?

Comment

Some more good reading:

http://www.military.com/NewContent/0...081303,00.html

Comment

Originally posted by Charlie View Post
              Hm. So do it by time?
              By time and heartrate. If you're not driving your HR into the red zone on the hard parts, go harder or longer. If you're not recovering enough during the recovery, go slower or wait longer. At the start, your recoveries will be a lot longer than your intervals.

I'm sure if you google interval training you'll get a lot more detailed/accurate advice than I'm giving.

Comment

Got it. I've never measured my heart rate before, so I'll have to do that, too.

Comment

All right. Dumb question time.

If kendo is already taking up most of your time for physical training in a week, is it better to use your remaining time for lifting, running, or alternate between the two?

Optimally, I can sometimes train kendo twice a week, lift once a week and run once a week, but sometimes a training day just gets dropped. What's the best use of my time? Seems like with running or lifting you should really do both or either 2-3 times a week but that's just not realistic for me.
                  Your question basically ask which is best for you. I think you should determine what you need most first.

I would tend to build a capability/kendo standard matrix to find the opportunity quadrants, and build my workout regimen around that. In my case, my biggest opportunity for improvement is flexibility. I am a little stiff and as a result I tend to get injured more than I should. As a result I built a program to improve that while maintaining the rest.

Comment

Got it. I've never measured my heart rate before, so I'll have to do that, too.
                    You don't have to get too technical if you don't want to. The talk test will suffice. If you can carry on a conversation in brief sentences, you're still in the aerobic zone. If you're working too hard to talk, you've gone anaerobic.

Or, use this as an excuse to pick up a new toy.

Comment

Thanks, guys.

Mark, that's heavy, man. I have never built a quadrant type thing! What, you make a list of your physical capabilities and cross reference that against what's needed for kendo and then try to work on what you need to work on most?

For me it's all about prioritizing what I can do around my busy family life. Both running and lifting fit in well with that in that I can just go out to the garage and lift or throw on the shoes and go at a moment's notice, and then only be gone for a half hour. Sometimes I can work out with the kids present, too, i.e. stretching and pushups or hand weights during snack time.

Comment

[This is just my personal experience.]

Charlie,

Like you, I didn't really see any noticeable benefit to my kendo stamina when I first started running. But I was only running for about 20-25 minutes at a time at a moderate pace of 8-9min/mile. It wasn't until after I'd trained for and completed my first marathon that I noticed a huge leap in my stamina, and happily discovered that it was transferrable to other sports like kendo. I think there's something to be said for the longer base training runs (45min+) to build up endurance.

From the research I did for my marathon training plan, it is my understanding that a normal person's glycogen (carb) supply will usually last about 45-60 minutes in the aerobic zone. Then you have to replace them with things like Gu-packs and carb-loaded drinks. When you start running for longer than that, 1-4 hours, you really start to train your body to more efficiently manage your oxygen supply and your muscles also compensate by increasing the number of capillaries to use that oxygen. You’ll hear terms like increasing your VO2max, which is basically the rate of oxygen volume you can process through your cardio-vascular system. At the peak of my training, my resting heart rate dropped down to about 45bpm. (I forgot to tell my doctor and he thought I was becoming anemic.)

Anyway, back to kendo, having a more efficient aerobic and cardio-vascular system really helped me to stay relaxed even going through full-tilt kakari-geiko. I think the mental capacity to deal with the physical suffering also helped, too. When my lungs are on fire and I feel like puking, that experience is not new and less frightening because I know I’ll survive it, so I’m more mentally able to just get on with it and push through.

I’m not advocating marathon training; its overkill for kendo. But I definitely think endurance training is beneficial. I think that for most sports that aren’t necessarily endurance sports (basketball, soccer, boxing, etc.), the pre-season involves a lot of this type of base training. To save my knees, however, I’ve switched to cycling and find the non-impact activity really complementary to kendo. Also, I can pull both the kids into the bike-trailer and get a decent workout at my wife’s comfortable cycling pace.

-Michael

Comment

is the suicide workout helpful for kendo ? I used to this a lot when i played basketball...

Comment

Excellent, Michael, thanks!

Comment

Some personal thoughts (boring stuff ahead!):

I started running about 4 weeks ago (3 times a week) and as I'm not very good at it I started very slowly - 15x1min running, 1 min of walking in between each minute (it's a plan to run for 50 minutes straight after 8 weeks).
                              Tomorrow I'll be running 3x10min and 2x5min, alternating between the two, with 1 - 2 min of walking in between.
                              All in all I can manage the times given without any greater trouble, I feel my legs afterwards, but not in bad way.

So, you see I'm not very far in my running experience, and yet I feel that it already helps my endurance in practise...

=> Was/Am I just that unfit so that a little bit of training already helps?

I should maybe mention that we practise kendo only once a week, that's one of the reasons I started running, to get the most out of those few practises. And to survive the time when I move to another town where I'll hopefully practise 3 times a week...

Well, my post probably doesn't make much sense, but I wondered about Charlie's post and was a bit disheartened to read how fit you all are...
                              I guess I'm currently doing interval training for grannies, huh?

Comment

I wouldn't say grannies, Svenja! Sounds like you've already got a good interval program going.

Comment

Working...
                                X