X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hole in my foot

Just returned to kendo after 18 months off. Still have the hole on my right foot on the sole and a small one on the ball off my big toe that I got from tearing up my right foot on the dojo floor. I've tried everything to get it to heal but nothing works. Hard skin forms in the hole instead of new skin growing. I know it's not a verucca. Anyone suffer this? Any advice? Sorry, it's a bit gross.

Tim

Can I see a picture of it?

Comment

Yuck - that's what we need more of here. Current general thinking for wound healing is that you want to apply some sort of antibiotic and keep it covered. Current general thinking for internet medical advice is that it isn't a good idea, so see a health professional in person if you are worried, have persistent pain, swelling, or redness, yadda yadda ...

John

Comment

Keep it clean...and get it looked at. A polysporin or some other cream or ointment wouldn't hurt at all. Band aids or dressings can be a pain to keep on, but an infection would really bite.

If you find you keep re injuring the same spot it could be as simple as your feet having softened a bit....so it'll take a little while to build callouses back. In the short term you could use a product like Dr. Scholls "moleskin' to protect the 'soft' spots. Tak care of your feet, they'll take care of you.

Comment

Here's what mine looked like after tonights practice..

http://i190.photobucket.com/albums/z...2/SSPX0281.jpg

I'm especially proud of the beef jerky-like tissue.

Here's what it looked like a 3 weeks ago after keiko at GKA...

http://i190.photobucket.com/albums/z...2/SSPX0264.jpg

Comment

AWESOME pics, Brian!

i'm putting those up on our club blog as soon as I get a chance (hopefully tomorrow)

Comment

Originally posted by tango View Post
              AWESOME pics, Brian!

i'm putting those up on our club blog as soon as I get a chance (hopefully tomorrow)
              Sick Tango....sick

Comment

As far as I know, when you have blood blisters you need to pop them right away and drain them. The pain gets much less rather quickly.

Since I'm still a newb I have blisters still every week, but I've only taped in the beginning. People in this forum here gave me this website:

http://www.evl.uic.edu/spiff/KendoBlog/docs/taping.html

Tape it like that, with a soft cotton thingy on the actual blister as a buffer for practice or for when you need to wear shoes and socks for at work or school. Then when at home, I just put a loose bandage over it, and I cut off the front bit of an old sock so that I still had warm heel and ankle but the blistered part was free of any sock pressure. That way no dirt goes in but it can breathe and heal.

But in my blistery experience, blood blisters, drain them right a way with a disinfected needle (pour boiling water over the needle before you use it), it will stop hurting and start healing much faster.

lol all this nice talk about blisters before I even had breakfast xD

Comment

Suck it up pansies.

Right foot is a weird one to get the typical injuries one might expect on the left foot. Are you okuri ashi-ing like Quazimodo and dragging your feet?

JoDuncan's treatment for blood blisters: wash thoroughly, cut the bugger off, wash and rinse thoroughly, stop whinging.

Bustin' chops 2008 style, a softer chop bustin'.

Comment

Originally posted by gaarhaar View Post
                    Just returned to kendo after 18 months off. Still have the hole on my right foot on the sole and a small one on the ball off my big toe that I got from tearing up my right foot on the dojo floor. I've tried everything to get it to heal but nothing works. Hard skin forms in the hole instead of new skin growing. I know it's not a verucca. Anyone suffer this? Any advice? Sorry, it's a bit gross.

Tim

are u pumiceing ? (sp?)

Comment

Originally posted by gaarhaar View Post

Tim
                      Had a similar one under the joint on my big toe, it was a hole about 3mm deep that would never heal, some sking would grow inside and then fall out (there was no infection or raw skin). It fixed itself when I took a couple of weeks holidays. now I have a hefty callus.

My problem now is a blood blister on my foot that keeps reforming, is very painful. Does anyone know if you are supposed to drain and disinfect those?

Comment

Originally posted by JCM View Post
                        My problem now is a blood blister on my foot that keeps reforming, is very painful. Does anyone know if you are supposed to drain and disinfect those?
                        Usually with blood blisters you should leave it alone, but this goes for blood blisters in other places that occured because of a pinching or something.

On your foot it's different because you have to walk on it and the blister is usually bigger. It will most likely still pop (believe me, leaving bloody footsteps on your dojo floor is one of the most embarressing things ever...) and when you take a disinfected needle and poke a small hole and push out all the fluid the pressure will be gone. I have blood blisters under the callus itself so poking it doesn't hurt at all. Just try to get out all the blood and then put some iodine one it and seal it with either a bandage or a bandaid, depending on whether you need to walk on it again in the next hours.

The most important thing is that they musn't get infected, that's why they tell you to leave blood blisters alone, but from personal experience and also asking my GP I know that when it's in the kendo spots, drain it.

Comment

Originally posted by Raindrop View Post
                          Usually with blood blisters you should leave it alone, but this goes for blood blisters in other places that occured because of a pinching or something.

On your foot it's different because you have to walk on it and the blister is usually bigger. It will most likely still pop (believe me, leaving bloody footsteps on your dojo floor is one of the most embarressing things ever...) and when you take a disinfected needle and poke a small hole and push out all the fluid the pressure will be gone. I have blood blisters under the callus itself so poking it doesn't hurt at all. Just try to get out all the blood and then put some iodine one it and seal it with either a bandage or a bandaid, depending on whether you need to walk on it again in the next hours.

The most important thing is that they musn't get infected, that's why they tell you to leave blood blisters alone, but from personal experience and also asking my GP I know that when it's in the kendo spots, drain it.

Thanks, I actually popped one last weekend during training, thank heavens I had taped my foot, when I took the tape came off you could see all the bloody fluid (eek!). The current blister seems to have grown under the last one (and also under a callus). I think I'll tend to this one tonight

Comment

After numerous blisters on my left foot I have learned to wear a tabi, foot protector, on hard floors. For some reason my foot does not develop kendo foot, i.e., a thick callus where you can put out a cigarette. Here are a couple pictures of my foot after practicing on hard floors.

Picture one:
                            http://s263.photobucket.com/albums/i...t-kendo001.jpg

Picture two:
                            http://s263.photobucket.com/albums/i...t=IMG_1038.jpg

Comment

EXCELLENT!!! Thanks for sharing, tatu...

haven't had a chance to update "kendo foot" pics on our club blog, but with your permission, I'd like to use yours as well on our site...

???

Comment

Working...
                              X