X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• replacement for a shinai

is there anythin u can use instead of a shinai that u might just find lying about the place that u can use in a smallish room. Im pretty lucky cos i live at a uni college with a couple of guys that do kendo too, and i can have a whack with my mates in an abandoned squash court, but it does gets tough trying to swing a shinai in a college dorm. Also, would swingin somethin that is about the same length but heavier than a shinai help or hinder your training efforts?

Light a bottle-rocket and swing that.

Comment

Originally posted by tsuba_man
      is there anythin u can use instead of a shinai that u might just find lying about the place that u can use in a smallish room. Im pretty lucky cos i live at a uni college with a couple of guys that do kendo too, and i can have a whack with my mates in an abandoned squash court, but it does gets tough trying to swing a shinai in a college dorm. Also, would swingin somethin that is about the same length but heavier than a shinai help or hinder your training efforts?
      A) I wouldn't use anything besides a shinai for reasons of grip, balance, safety, etc. But you can do suburi in seiza if ceiling height is a problem.

B) I know some people put "donut" weights on their shinai when they practice to build strength and make it that much easier to swing a normal-weight shinai. Same principle as swinging a bat with weights while you're on deck.

Comment

yeah alright cheers, ill probably just hit the gym or something

Comment

A heavy suburi to is the most common way of doing what you suggest. You can however use almost anything, provided you are using the correct motion. A heavy pipe, the bar from a set of weights, a 5 or 10kg weight.

Comment

replcement for a shinai

maby a bokken its like three pounds go to tigerstrike . com

Comment

Working...
            X