X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cornell Tournament

Did any of you go to the Cornell tournament this past weekend? If so, who were you? I was the Taisho from UVA.

Originally posted by taiwnezboi
    Did any of you go to the Cornell tournament this past weekend? If so, who were you? I was the Taisho from UVA.
    I was chuken for VT. Played you in an overtime match during teams. Hehe, we barely got passed you guys in the prelimineries. I think it was like 1 or 2 point difference.

Comment

GW and William and Mary and us are talking about having a liittle tournament ourselves sometime next semester, don't know if anyone told you about it. You guys interested?

For now, i think we're only inviting Virginia schools, but, if there is more interest, i guess we can make it bigger, don't know if we can though...

But, anyways, any other schools interested?

Comment

Hey, I remember playing you . I'm not in charge of the club or anything so I'll have to ask if we can go to the tournament, but I'm definitely interested. Please contact me about it. My AIM screen name is TaiwnezBoy34 and my email is taiwnezboy34@hotmail.com . Look forward to hearing from you.

Comment

Originally posted by Shazzanzzz
          GW and William and Mary and us are talking about having a liittle tournament ourselves sometime next semester, don't know if anyone told you about it. You guys interested?

For now, i think we're only inviting Virginia schools, but, if there is more interest, i guess we can make it bigger, don't know if we can though...

But, anyways, any other schools interested?
          Hey Shaz,

Did you guys ever decide which date was better for you all? Feb. 21st or 28th? Oh, I also talked with my Sensei about other teams coming and he said that the dojo can only really accomodate 30 people. (It's a small dojo, smaller than your practice room) Meaning that we'll only have one Court at all times. There will be different divisions i.e Mudansha, Yodansha, Womens and teams.

Given all that, if other schools are interested, we'll have to know exactly how many people they are planning on bringing cause of the size of the dojo. But let me know how many people are planning on coming down from Tech.

P.S. The W&M crew who went to the tournament had a blast as well. I would have come if I were still an undergrad, but I was ineligible

Comment

Miyu: I'm from the UVA club and we definitely want to participate in your tournament. Please e-mail me the information and registration. TaiwnezBoy34@hotmail.com or mjy2r@virginia.edu whichever. We would probably bring 5 people (our team).

Comment

Mudansha and Yodansha singles would be nice, but it would take away the fun of incredible upsets. I don't think you need the women division, don't think there's enough people

I guess so far 4 schools, one team per school should be the limit, else there may be too many people. Because, i know GW can have 2 or more teams most likely, and we probably can too.

You need to set up rules too, like if grad students can participate... GW is too good if that's the case. Some of our grad students really want to do teams, and i think it would be fun if they can do it. So, you need to decide if you want grad students to be on the teams. Hard decision huh, since you're grad, I would suggest no grad students, just to keep it simple.

Feb 21th or 28th doesn't make any difference for me right now, don't think it will either.

I guess if size of dojo is a problem, we can always try to go somewhere else, like here in tech, uva, or gw if possible. GMU has a kendo club too i think, we probably should invite them too. So, there could possibly be 25 people just to be on teams, and I know we would have at least 3 or 4 more who would want to do singles, probably more for GW...

Comment

Originally posted by Shazzanzzz
                Mudansha and Yodansha singles would be nice, but it would take away the fun of incredible upsets. I don't think you need the women division, don't think there's enough people
                I beg your pardon! But even if there weren't that many women, then the women's division would just go by very quickly.

Anyway, if we are thinking big collegiate thing with all Virginia colleges, we'll definitely have to have it in a big gym that can hold a large number of people. I know that our practice gym can be rented out for free, so long as an activity hasn't already been scheduled for that weekend. I can check and see if my Sensei would be interested in moving it to W&M (which is only an hour away for you guys but much longer for everyone else). I don't think he'll mind.

Not sure about costs of preregistration or anything and if we were to throw it at Adair Hall (W&M's practice gym), then we really wouldn't incur any costs. Given all that, I don't see a huge registration fee, if any. But what do you guys think about holding it at W&M? If you would prefer UVA or Tech and can find a better deal on rooms, just let me know. Adair can fit two courts and the floor is a nice hardwood flooring.

We would have to worry about getting Shimpan, or ring in anyone who's Nidan and up to judge. Also, we could open it up to not just college teams vs. college teams. I know that my Sensei's dojo would probably want to participate so that would open it up to let other schools to bring more than one team and mix up undergrads with grads.

Wow, I sound like I'm really dreaming about holding a huge tournament. Again, I'll talk with my Sensei and see what he thinks and you guys and let me know how that sounds. Once we get everything pretty much ironed out, we can send out all the invites to the other VA schools.

In the meantime, give me a head count of all eligible tournament goers so I can give my Sensei a general idea of the huge interest. Just e-mail it to me at theravenmiyu@hotmail.com

Comment

So now you are going to hold a huge tournament and not invite us down from Cornell?

Anyway, it was nice to have you make such a long trip to come play with us.

BTW--I was the guy with the big beard, stopwatch, and yellow flag.

Comment

sure... You guys from outside VA can come too, i was just worried we won't be able to handle that many people. If we can, it would be great.

Comment

Maybe we should just foreget about singles, and do college teams and no restriction teams. Teams so much more fun than singles anyway. But, shinpans probably would be a problem if we do teams with no restriction. I thought shinapans had to be 3dan or 4dan and up. I don't really have any preferrance where we hold it...

Man, the only two girls i know in Viringia who do kendo is like you and the girl from our club, maybe you guys can fight it out for first place, and the loser'll still get the second place trophy, haha.

Comment

We're about to get a girl that used to practice Kumdo to start again.. so look out

Comment

hey hey hey!! allow grad in teams!! i couldn't come to cornell but being a grad and not being able to participate is a pain!!!....it was quite frustrating at harvard tournie not to be able to participate in the teams!!!..

anyway, the more the merrier...and anyplace would be fine...well..i would of course tell u guys that i'd rather participate at VT (yeah i'm from there ) but anyplace would be nice. I don't know about UVA, but the main problem of VT is that we don't have a sensee or high ranked ppl, so we would need shinpans to come down there...

It would be nice if we can do teams and singles....sure teams are funnier but then, well, singles are more relying upon yourself and nobody else so u lose u die pretty much ...

In anycase, any time would be fine next semester. The beggning of the semester will be the best of course since there won't be a lot of work for anybody yet

Comment

Grads...

Originally posted by kek
                            hey hey hey!! allow grad in teams!! i couldn't come to cornell but being a grad and not being able to participate is a pain!!!....it was quite frustrating at harvard tournie not to be able to participate in the teams!!!..
                            I'd like to comment a bit one this. McGill often gets the invites to all the University tournaments in the Northeastern US: Cornell, Harvard and now Yale. We appreciate the invites but the participation rules stop is from attending (that and the distance/money required).

At our last tournament our A-team (and I use the term loosely after being blown out in first round ) was made up of 3 grad students and 2 undergrads from another university. At the tournament before that it was 1 grad student, 1 undergrad, 2 non-students and 1 CGEP (obligatory pre-university in Quebec)student. You can see that a large part of our club is in fact people from outside the university so to speak.

We'd love it if you invited the McGill dojo as opposed to inviting the students at the dojo. I mean, this isn't the NCAA or anything like that.

That's all I had to say.

Comment

Originally posted by AlexM
                              We'd love it if you invited the McGill dojo as opposed to inviting the students at the dojo. I mean, this isn't the NCAA or anything like that.

That's all I had to say.
                              The reason we have undergrad restrictions is kinda like the reason ncaa has though... We want people around the same age/skill level to compete together. Granted, there still is going to be a big skill difference if it's just undergrads, but, at least it'll be a lot better than having everyone else participating. I do feel bad for the grad students, but, looking at the big picture, i think the undergrad restriction makes a lot of sense. Also, there's plenty tournaments where there is no restriction.

McGill U, maybe you can try to expand your outreach on the undergrad class. Eventually, you'll have enough for a undergrad team.

kek, so, team matches are FUNNIER? haha. funny guy.

Comment

Working...
                              X