Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• why shout loud?

hi
    im new to kendo and would like to know why shouting at each other is necessary. or which purpose this shouting has.

is it just to "frighten" your opponent?

any response would be helpful. thx

Kiai/Shouting is the voice of your spirit. Quiet voice, weak spirit. Loud voice, strong spirit. That's my 2 second explanation.

Comment

Originally posted by nodachi
      Kiai/Shouting is the voice of your spirit. Quiet voice, weak spirit. Loud voice, strong spirit. That's my 2 second explanation.
      Although you have to differentiate kiai (expression of your spirit) and kakigoe (shout), while a big/loud kiai are usually expressed with a loud kakigoe a loud kakigoe does not necessarily express big kiai.

Comment

IMHO kiai is an absolute must have for good, solid kendo.

Try fighting without it!!!

Comment

The person asked why shouting was necessary, not for some philosophical nonsense.

You need to shout because the rules says you have to shout. Some people say shouting relaxes the body and hightens concentration but believe at your own will.

Comment

Originally posted by Yowai
            The person asked why shouting was necessary, not for some philosophical nonsense.
            its not philosophical nonsense, there are differences between kiai and shout as there are differences between shouting, yelling and screaming but obviously you haven't noticed it yet.

Comment

kiai is not only an expression of your spirit, but is used to lift ur spirit and put pressure on your oppenent. the higher your spirit, instinctivly the more effective your strikes will be

it is definatley not shouting or yelling, its something that comes from within

and unlike what yowai says, people dont use kiai because it says u must in the rules, hell if you dont the rules shouldnt matter because your kendo will just be down right terrible

Comment

Originally posted by aru-ma
                its not philosophical nonsense, there are differences between kiai and shout as there are differences between shouting, yelling and screaming but obviously you haven't noticed it yet.
                The differences between shouting, yelling and screaming (according to M-W):
                to yell - to utter a loud cry, scream, or shout
                to shout - to utter a sudden loud cry
                to scream - to voice a sudden sharp loud cry

Besides being synonyms, they are all very different!

Comment

Folks,

Another member has asked a similar question about kiai. My length response here:

http://www.kendo-world.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1887

To avoid a lengthy linguistic debate with Yowai, I'll stick to using the term "kiai" in lieu of "yell/shout/scream". For me, loud kiai makes sense on 3 levels:

1. At the mos primal level, kiai is like a battle-cry. You've all seen war movies with samurai and knights and stuff. (ie Braveheart) People scream passionately as they charge into battle. To express rage, fervor, or just to intimidate the opponent, of course.

2. On a "spiritual" level (see my posting via the above link), kiai, as many of you have already said, expresses the spirit, intent, and force behind your attack. Hence ki-ken-tai-ichi. A valid point demands not only the correct bodily and shinai movements, but a strong will, ie, kiai.

3. On a physical level (Yowai hinted at this earlier), kiai helps you breathe and smooths out your bodily motions. Try doing a bunch of suburi and not kiai'ing. It'll be mad tiring. Inhaling prior in attack, trapping the air inside your body so that it could "explode" into the strike, when you exhale through your kiai, aids your respiration in the whole process.

Hope that helps.

Comment

Originally posted by Yowai

You need to shout because the rules says you have to shout. Some people say shouting relaxes the body and hightens concentration but believe at your own will.
                    Whyz douz youz even karez?????????????????????????????? Youz alreadyz kwitted Kendoz..........So Youz aintz goingz 2 B doing Kiaiz in da near futurez anyweyz....

Youz shouldntz B onz Kendo World Forumz...............Youz shoud be on Kendo World of Quittazzzzzzzzzzz!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !

Anyweyz..............who wantz 2 hearz your weakboy kiai anweyz???L???U???Z??E??R????

Comment

Originally posted by olaf
                      Inhaling prior in attack, trapping the air inside your body so that it could "explode" into the strike, when you exhale through your kiai, aids your respiration in the whole process.
                      ah, yes. i know this from tae kwon do. im practising classic TKD (=without contact) and "kiai-ing" at the end of a move helps me focus the strike.

i have my first kendo lesson on thuesday and im really looking forward to it

thank you for all your comments so far . plz keep posting

Comment

Originally posted by olaf
                        ...Try doing a bunch of suburi and not kiai'ing. It'll be mad tiring.
                        Uhmm?? I don't kiai when I do suburi alone... and I can go on for quite a while. Something must be wrong...

However, I find it extra tough to Kiai properly in long Uchikomi/Kakari Keiko sessions. Say, with my weak lungs I can only go as far as 4 in a roll. On the fifth one I'll lost my kiai. My throat will get either too jammed up or I can taste blood from it... argh I m not going to get into graphic details, but I feel bad whenever that happens. Motodachi will say "Oi, Kiai, Kiai!!! One more!!" and I cannot do anything about it.

Anyone can give some advice on that?

Comment

Originally posted by mingshi
                          I find it extra tough to Kiai properly in long Uchikomi/Kakari Keiko sessions. Say, with my weak lungs I can only go as far as 4 in a roll. On the fifth one I'll lost my kiai. My throat will get either too jammed up or I can taste blood from it...
                          take a little recorder with you with your kiai on tape in it

Comment

However, I find it extra tough to Kiai properly in long Uchikomi/Kakari Keiko sessions. Say, with my weak lungs I can only go as far as 4 in a roll. On the fifth one I'll lost my kiai. My throat will get either too jammed up or I can taste blood from it... argh I m not going to get into graphic details, but I feel bad whenever that happens. Motodachi will say "Oi, Kiai, Kiai!!! One more!!" and I cannot do anything about it.

Anyone can give some advice on that?

Are you using your throat instead of your gut? Kiai from your hara and your throat shouldn't hurt. It feels like more of a loud exhale when I do it right so my vocal chords aren't really doing the yelling. It feels more like a loud exhale is the best way for me to put it.

Comment

Uhmm?? I don't kiai when I do suburi alone... and I can go on for quite a while.
                              I'm not suggesting that suburi isn't possible without kiai. Sure, depending on your endurance you may be able to go on and on. The kiai just helps your body relax and eases respiration throughout the workout.

Try going through a bunch of waza drills w/o kiai. You'll be able to carry out the physical movements just fine, but you just won't be that explosive when you strike and you'll probably tire out quicker.

However, I find it extra tough to Kiai properly in long Uchikomi/Kakari Keiko sessions.
                              That just means you have weak lungs. Try more uchikomigeiko or kirikaeshi, holding your breath as long as you can each time. And nodachi is right, don't scream using your throat. It ought to come from deep down, from the abdomen. Easy to say, hard to do.

Comment

Working...
                              X