Announcement Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.
Starting my First Jigeiko Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Starting my First Jigeiko

    I just had my first Jigeiko today, it was tough!!! I couldn't stand wearing that heavy 'men'!!! I was sweating alot and my feet started to hurt, I couldn't stand straight, and I kept rocking my head back and forth. I just got dizzy and hot. Do I just have to practice alot to get used to it?

  • #2
    you'll get used to it! i promise!

    just don't quit!

    Comment


    • #3
      Does working-out HARD and practicing suburi at home help me get used to the hard training at the DOJO?
      Last edited by Tsubasa_126; 26th November 2003, 04:32 PM.

      Comment


      • #4
        i don't know.. i've never "worked out" hard (like in a gym) and i eventually got used to the heat and the men.

        it's hard to simulate (in my opinion) the heat and the "confine"-ness of wearing the men.

        i suppose if you have a place to do suburi inside, you could maybe put the men on when you do suburi.. that might help some.. if you have a treadmill at home, maybe you could put on your men and run on the treadmill.. (note: i've never tried this, i'm just thinking out loud).. don't run down the street with your men on, unless you want some crazy, crazy looks (note: i've never tried that either)...

        we've had some big, muscle-bound gym-crazy guys in GREAT shape show up for kendo and then just drop on the floor after doing normal kendo with full bogu.

        i'm sure others here will have some better advice.. working out/running/suburi obviously will help, but as i said, i think it's just very hard to simulate the type of workout you get from class while wearing bogu.

        it just takes some time.. your body will get a little acclimated to doing it over time.. some days are better than others, too..

        oh... stomach crunches are probably a good idea. you may yet be surprised how weak stomach muscles can mess with your kendo (or how strong stomach muscles can help your kendo)...

        JUST KEEP AT IT, friend!

        Comment


        • #5
          It's a matter of time. It always feels like an oven at first

          Comment


          • #6
            So I should run with a full-Bogu on the streets or somewhere outside? I think that helps but, It's kind of embarrasing, and how many suburi should I do everyday?

            Comment


            • #7
              I hate to sound like an old episode of "Kung Fu", but - "have patience, soon you won't even notice its on".

              Comment


              • #8
                I kept getting hit alot from the yudansha and they go crazy on me. And my Kote hurts alot. Is there any way to prevent from getting hurt by kote?

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by Tsubasa_126
                  I just had my first Jigeiko today, it was tough!!! I couldn't stand wearing that heavy 'men'!!! I was sweating alot and my feet started to hurt, I couldn't stand straight, and I kept rocking my head back and forth. I just got dizzy and hot. Do I just have to practice alot to get used to it?
                  Wot kind of mingin is dis? It sayz dat youz is 4 kyu but youz particitaped in jigeiko 4 da first time?

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by Tsubasa_126
                    I kept getting hit alot from the yudansha and they go crazy on me. And my Kote hurts alot. Is there any way to prevent from getting hurt by kote?
                    A wrist protector would help. Hard kote hurt, especially when starting out. After a while you a) get used to it, or b) get smart and get some extra padding for your wrist. Using an really worn set can also make things worse-they don't provide as much protection as a newer set of bogu.

                    Starting in bogu is always an awkward experience. Don't give up!

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by Raiza
                      Starting in bogu is always an awkward experience. Don't give up!
                      Yeah, not to mention my neck looks blue after every practice from that men. Since I have to catch my train after practice, I can't wash it off, so I have to go to the station like that!

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by Tsubasa_126
                        I just had my first Jigeiko today, it was tough!!! I couldn't stand wearing that heavy 'men'!!! I was sweating alot and my feet started to hurt, I couldn't stand straight, and I kept rocking my head back and forth. I just got dizzy and hot. Do I just have to practice alot to get used to it?
                        Hi,

                        I suggest putting in some time wearing the men to get used to it - eg watching TV (a bit difficult, but useful anyway) or ironing.

                        This allows you to get used to wearing men without having to also cope with swinging a shinai or being hit.

                        Good luck,

                        Catherine

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Originally posted by ALI G
                          Wot kind of mingin is dis? It sayz dat youz is 4 kyu but youz particitaped in jigeiko 4 da first time?
                          Not too surprising. People in my dojo don't practice with bogu until 3rd kyu.

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Originally posted by Catherine
                            Hi,

                            I suggest putting in some time wearing the men to get used to it - eg watching TV (a bit difficult, but useful anyway) or ironing.

                            This allows you to get used to wearing men without having to also cope with swinging a shinai or being hit.

                            Good luck,

                            Catherine
                            On a side note: it is probably not wise to wear men while driving your car or conducting fiscal transactions with a teller at your local bank.

                            Just incase it wasn't obvious.

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              by the way, i specifically said DO NOT RUN DOWN THE STREET WITH YOUR MEN ON.. (note it in one of my posts from above)...

                              Just put the men on when you're at home... walk around in it... do the laundry... watch tv... do suburi... etc etc etc...

                              good suggestion, catherine.

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X