X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 4th lesson, now

I didn't get the chance to post the 3rd. Anyways, not much happened, just a new blister on my left hand right under the index finger, and I got my shinai. Now, I just got my gi and hakama, and I'm still not sure about what to do with it, like washing it and folding it so it doesn't crumple up. It should be okay to iron the pants, right? Also, as it was the last Tuesday of the month, it was bokken night, where as a part of going back to the actual katana roots of the arts, we practice only with the bokken. Have you guys heard of this, as I heard that this system was only recently being implemented. One more question, I have this English broadsword that weighs approximately 5-10 lbs. I'm thinking of practicing with it just for strength, and then going back to the shinai or bokken for training. Would you guys consider this good?

...It should be okay to iron the pants, right?...
    Yes.

Comment

Originally posted by New Guy
      I didn't get the chance to post the 3rd.
      Please don't miss posting any of your training status updates. I anticipating dearly for your future updates.

フレッフレッ New Guy フレッフレッ

just a new blister on my left hand right under the index finger
      That's abnormal. See a doctor.

Also, as it was the last Tuesday of the month, it was bokken night, where as a part of going back to the actual katana roots of the arts, we practice only with the bokken. Have you guys heard of this, as I heard that this system was only recently being implemented
      I have no idea what that is. Your dojo might be on the cutting-edge of Kendo development.

One more question, I have this English broadsword that weighs approximately 5-10 lbs. I'm thinking of practicing with it just for strength, and then going back to the shinai or bokken for training. Would you guys consider this good?
      Sure... Oh wait; stop. I will be accused of being irresponsible so I won't suggest anything.

Comment

I wouldn't go with the broadsword if only for the fact that your hands will start getting used to a handle size and grip that isn't kendo.

Comment

Originally posted by Yowai
          ...Sure... Oh wait; stop. I will be accused of being irresponsible so I won't suggest anything.
          It's not irresponsible to suggest anything. Look at me. I love to give people suggestions in order to further their kendo studies. It's great to share suggestions and I get a "happy happy" feeling knowing that I have helped someone to improve their kendo.

Mina-san... Gambatte!

Comment

... One more question, I have this English broadsword that weighs approximately 5-10 lbs. I'm thinking of practicing with it just for strength, and then going back to the shinai or bokken for training. Would you guys consider this good?
            Nude guy,
            Do not use an English broadsword for kendo. You want to get used to the feel of the bokken. You wouldn't practice soccer with a basketball just to use a heavier ball?

Comment

Originally posted by Hai_hai
              It's not irresponsible to suggest anything. Look at me. I love to give people suggestions in order to further their kendo studies. It's great to share suggestions and I get a "happy happy" feeling knowing that I have helped someone to improve their kendo.

Mina-san... Gambatte!
              Iz gotza suggestionz 4 yaz....Quit....

Oh waitz....ya already did...nevermindz......

Comment

I didn't get the chance to post the 3rd. Anyways, not much happened, just a new blister on my left hand right under the index finger, and I got my shinai. Now, I just got my gi and hakama, and I'm still not sure about what to do with it, like washing it and folding it so it doesn't crumple up. It should be okay to iron the pants, right? Also, as it was the last Tuesday of the month, it was bokken night, where as a part of going back to the actual katana roots of the arts, we practice only with the bokken. Have you guys heard of this, as I heard that this system was only recently being implemented. One more question, I have this English broadsword that weighs approximately 5-10 lbs. I'm thinking of practicing with it just for strength, and then going back to the shinai or bokken for training. Would you guys consider this good?
                Hi,
                I dont see why practising with a heavier sword, just for strength, would be a problem. As beginners we need to work on upperbody strength. Theres one old boy who turns up sometimes at my dojo. I dont know his name but when he is there he always sits closest to the gods. When he comes in I always see him swinging a tetsubo about for his warm up.

wassail

Comment

Originally posted by Grautr
                  Hi,
                  I dont know his name but when he is there he always sits closest to the gods.

...eh? you go to some sort of celestial dojo?

Comment

Originally posted by Sanjuro
                    ...eh? you go to some sort of celestial dojo?
                    hehe,
                    I dont know any other name for it but its the position furthest away from the entrance.

Comment

Hi New Guy!

Hehe, that's called Kata, and it's been around for a long time. More than just a few years, I mean. More like over 30! Any sensei here know how long please? Every Kendo dojo learns kata. It's fun! I hope you will like learning the kata.

Personally, I wouldn't practice with a broadsword. The wieght will be totally different, your grip will end up funny, and you can't do suburi with the thing in the way you would with a proper shinai or bokken. Besides, you could seriously injure yourself with it. NEVER use a live blade for anything unless a sensei gives you permission. It's just folly and dangerous. So, no. Please don't.
                      Look into a suburi shinai for something heavier, if you need it.

Here is a link to e-bogu.com's site that has them:

http://store.yahoo.com/kendobogu/specshin.html

Hope that helps!

Kaoru

Comment

Originally posted by Kaoru
                        Hi New Guy!

Hehe, that's called Kata, and it's been around for a long time. More than just a few years, I mean. More like over 30! Any sensei here know how long please? Every Kendo dojo learns kata. It's fun! I hope you will like learning the kata.

Personally, I wouldn't practice with a broadsword. The wieght will be totally different, your grip will end up funny, and you can't do suburi with the thing in the way you would with a proper shinai or bokken. Besides, you could seriously injure yourself with it. NEVER use a live blade for anything unless a sensei gives you permission. It's just folly and dangerous. So, no. Please don't.
                        Look into a suburi shinai for something heavier, if you need it.

Here is a link to e-bogu.com's site that has them:

http://store.yahoo.com/kendobogu/specshin.html

Hope that helps!

Kaoru
                        The kata have been established at the beginning of the 20th century (1910 I guess) and have been revised in the 50's and the 80's

Comment

Originally posted by Shiro
                          The kata have been established at the beginning of the 20th century (1910 I guess) and have been revised in the 50's and the 80's

Thanks Shiro!

Kaoru

Comment

Working...
                          X