X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• why do i keep my left heel up??

Q) Why do i have to keep my left heel up at most of the time?

My guess)

It is for pushing my body forward when i attack.
    If i were right, then I should push my body with left foot,
    and stop (or stomp) with right foot. And foot work is opposite to hand work (ex. right hand for pushing while left hand for pulling toward my body) when i strike.

Your left heel should be up so you are ready to attack in an instant. Should you be flat footed, you need to shift your weight forward, and then attack. The time it takes to shift your weight forward will be the end of you.

You are right, you do push with your left foot. However, hand work is not different. I may be misinterpretting you, but the left hand does all the work. The only thing the right hand does is steer. It will turn the shinai right or left when doing things like kirikaeshi, but the left hand is doing all the work. Focus on the left. Don't push with the right. It should only steer. Your left hand is your motor.

Comment

Originally posted by nodachi
      Your left heel should be up so you are ready to attack in an instant. Should you be flat footed, you need to shift your weight forward, and then attack. The time it takes to shift your weight forward will be the end of you.

You are right, you do push with your left foot. However, hand work is not different. I may be misinterpretting you, but the left hand does all the work. The only thing the right hand does is steer. It will turn the shinai right or left when doing things like kirikaeshi, but the left hand is doing all the work. Focus on the left. Don't push with the right. It should only steer. Your left hand is your motor.

Therefore, left hand and left foot are important when one is practicing kendo.
      Then where do i get the power/speed when i strike? I heard strking power should come from the hip. But, i believe the power should come from the whole body,delivered from feet up through the legs--> hips-->abs-->chest->shoulders -->biceps-->forearms--> then wrists. I used to practice tae kwon do for 4 years, and all kicks and punches came from the abs. But in kendo, i m not sure. Another words, I m a newbie in kendo!!! Again, my question is that where the power/speed should come from, and how i can develop the power and speed??
      Last edited by dh song; 1st December 2003, 04:37 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by dh song
        and stop (or stomp) with right foot. And foot work is opposite to hand work (ex. right hand for pushing while left hand for pulling toward my body) when i strike.
        Yes, I think you're quite right. The reason why you always have to keep your left heel up is that you're able to push your body forward much more quickly. If you compare it to hand work, it's opposite, but keep in mind that you still use your right foot to push you backwards!

Comment

Originally posted by dh song
          Q) Why do i have to keep my left heel up at most of the time?

My guess)

Your heels should be up natually, because you should be moving with your weight distributed to the balls of the foot.
          Try and have a feeling of moving so that your feet grip the ground and your weight is focused at the point at the base of your second and third toes.
          This will let you use your arches, ankles, knees and hip joints more effectively.
          Also remember that when you move forward your right leg moves forward with your centre of gravity (with your body).
          If you think about thrusting off your left leg as you have described there might be a tendancy to lift your right leg out ahead of your body. This type of action should be avoided.

This is my opinion anyway. I hope it provides a reference at least.

Comment

Working...
          X