X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Where are the Dojos

I'm really interested in Kendo and I've read all about it, but I can't find any kendo dojo's where I am, and all of you say that it can't be learned without instruction. So I was wondering if anyone knew where a Dojo might be in Canada, in the provine B.C. in a city called Abbotsford, which neighbours Vancouver, about 45 mins away. If I can't find a dojo, what do I do, am I just screwed until I can find one ?

Duuude,

You're in BC. You're loaded in terms of kendo clubs.

http://www.kendo-canada.com/ckf_dojoadr.htm

Check that list out, it should help.

Comment

There's nothing in Abbottsford. The closest would be Burnaby where there's a choice of Renbu Dojo or Sunrise Kendo Club. See here for contact info.

Comment

Well I don't have the wheels to get to Vancouver or Burnaby, best case I could bum rides and practice two or three times a month and that sucks hard, only thing out here in abbotsford I'd be interested in would be Jiu-Jutsu. One question I have in my head if someone could answer is when Im doing kendo footwork and when I take a step forward, does my back heel come down when I step or do I just balance on the balls of my feet at all times, and I just leave my back heel up.

Comment

Stay on the balls of your feet. If you could make it into Burnaby twice a month, and were diligent in practicing by yourself, you could make it work. You'd have to check with the instructors at the dojo to see if that would be OK.

A 45 minute drive in that area is pretty standard anyways. I know people who live right in Vancouver or the suburbs that drive that long to get to practice.

Comment

I know the footwork question is a noob one and I'd learn how to on my first kendo class, do you think their would be a bus that went to burnaby and back from burnaby? I doubt it but I wonder...But getting their as much as I can plus training on my owns sounds pretty shweet, thanks for the help.

Comment

kendo in or near bournemouth

hi, i am interested in starting kendo

but i cant get any decent information out of the internet on gyms that have kendo classes

i live in bournemouth, but anywhere pretty close is fine by me, can anyone tell me if there is kendo classes in or around bournemouth

thanks!

Comment

Southampton is probably your closest dojo.
                http://www.southamptonkendo.org.uk/

Comment

Originally posted by ultima-milli View Post
                  hi, i am interested in starting kendo

but i cant get any decent information out of the internet on gyms that have kendo classes

i live in bournemouth, but anywhere pretty close is fine by me, can anyone tell me if there is kendo classes in or around bournemouth

thanks!
                  My Southern geography is terrible, except for the South-West. However if you know where you live then this google map may be of use to see what's in your area. It shows all the BKA dojos in GB, some bright spark thought it'd be a good idea.

Comment

Working...
                  X