X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Correcting bad habits

Hi all, ive completed my 2nd class, and am having a blast. The only problem is that my stance is horrible. *well that and im out of shape but I was prepared for that* I keep finding my left knee bending and my back leans forward too much. Is there any tips you can give me so I can start getting a better stance, aside from stopping every step to correct myself?

<and no, quitting is not an option, just to cut off anyone who might be thinking of posting that>

go to practice more...only way to correct bad habits is by conditioning them...conditioning takes time...

Comment

If quitting is not an option, better start thinking of amputating that leg.

Comment

Yowai, there is really no need for sarcasm.

Comment

Gee. Where's the funeral?

Comment

Originally posted by New Guy
            Yowai, there is really no need for sarcasm.
            Yowai is just trying to get a rise. He does this all the time on this forum. I think not replying to his comments is probably best.

Comment

Whatever you say, [incomprehensible name due to illegible zekken].

Comment

Originally posted by Yowai
                If quitting is not an option, better start thinking of amputating that leg.
                Yeahz....dontz followz dis luserz path...Hez geluz becuz hez quittedz da Kendoz 4 yeeahhz agoz.........booya....

Dontz letz him takez youz on da zame pathz...

Comment

Yowai's comments arn't usually called for but they're pretty humourous

Comment

Originally posted by Tipsykitty
                    Hi all, ive completed my 2nd class, and am having a blast. The only problem is that my stance is horrible. *well that and im out of shape but I was prepared for that* I keep finding my left knee bending and my back leans forward too much. Is there any tips you can give me so I can start getting a better stance, aside from stopping every step to correct myself?
                    It's your 2nd class, for pete's sake. Stop worrying and just practice, it will come. Your instructors are in a much better position than we are to see what you're doing right or wrong.

Comment

Originally posted by Tipsykitty
                      .. ive completed my 2nd class, and am having a blast. The only problem is that my stance is horrible. *well that and im out of shape but I was prepared for that* I keep finding my left knee bending and my back leans forward too much. ...
                      Hi, I've nearly completed my 2nd year and I am too having a blast (dodgy grammar.. soz).
                      My problems are:
                      - stance is horrible
                      - I attack without thinking
                      - my left hand strays from the centre on my do cuts
                      - I have a terrible habit of raising my right foot too high when stomping (I know its not stomping really... but thats another problem)
                      - I apologise too much
                      - I hit too hard
                      - my timing is off
                      - Use taia-tari as a shield rather than cutting through.
                      ------ I wont list the rest because I'll be here all day.

Basically, the point I'm trying (feebly) to make is that we all have problems that require work.
                      As you progress you will fix some and then notice others, but that is one of the challenges of this great activity/way/sport/art/hobby (delete as appropriate ) and it is one of the reasons I keep coming back for more.

Keep working, keep trying, and make it fun.

Good luck
                      Paulo

Comment

Originally posted by emitbrownne
                        My problems are:
                        - I attack without thinking
                        Wait, that one's actually a good thing.

Comment

You can always spend a few moments at home standing in kamae in front of a mirror, or if you lack that, a TV that is off cause you can sort of use it as a mirror, and just check your kamae. Usually I see people do this at practice during breaks or before practice sometimes so it's good to do from time to time anyway, whether you are new or a veteran (dare I avoid the word old).

Comment

Thanks for the helpful advice *not the leg amputation though <chuckle>*.

Comment

Originally posted by Neil Gendzwill
                              Wait, that one's actually a good thing.
                              YAY! thats one down

Comment

Working...
                              X