X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ice vs Gel packs

I've always favoured ice myself, although recently I purchased a gel-filled hot/cold pack simply for the convenience of not having it dribble all over me as it warmed up.

Recently I was writing an article for my club's blog about the benefits of icing injuries, and I was looking for a pic of a gel-filled cold pack, when I came across this product recall.

It seems there was a substitution by one of the main Taiwanese manufacturers, who replaced the inert compound propylene glycol with the more toxic, and presumably cheaper, ethylene glycol (aka anti-freeze). I checked and sure enough, the one in my freezer was one of the dodgy ones.

This info is mainly for Aussies, but similar Gov't regulatory bodies in your own country might have similar product recalls pendings. It's worth having a look for them.

Like I said, I only found out about this by accident.

b

Australia or not, I personally have never had any real good luck with any gel packs...
    not cold enough and never stay cold long enough..

but that's just my experience..

thanks for the heads up on the recall, though!

Comment

Actually, you don't want to ice some place too long or too cold. Risk of frost bite. Shouldn't ice some place for more than about 20 minutes, especially if it's an extremity.

Comment

Also if you don't gel pack it's good idea to use frozen food bag as replacement. To avoid frost bite use common sense and don't keep it there for two hours! Gel packs and ice should always be wrapped in household towel (over sized toilet paper sheets) or thin cloth (tenugui would probably do pretty well). I would also recommend using disposable gel packs as you can take those into practice just in case and are ready just by hitting it hard once and waiting 30s or so (also those are really, REALLY handy when camping as you'd be the only one having cold lemonade or other drink there ). Also those are rather cheap I've heard.

Comment

bag a pees work really well. Have always used them for years. not the same pack of course.

Comment

bag of pees doesn't sound good at all.
            bag of peas, on the other hands...

Comment

I approve this message

Originally posted by tango View Post
              bag of peas, on the other hands...
              Take it from someone who places electrical tape over his nipples!

I endorse frozen peas.

1) cheaper than gelpacks. 2) releases cold slower than ice. 3) lasts longer than ice. 4) not hard like ice. 5) available in several sizes!!!

I have used frozen peas to treat injuries since 1988, and I have never been let down.

Any of the popular brands is satisfactory
              Last edited by vedenant; 12th May 2009, 06:05 PM. Reason: typo

Comment

Might sound strange, but we have this stuff here called Ice Man - a bit like your ice freeze/ deep heat concoction but works twice as fast and long. Actually created for horses if you believe, but its so effective they now sell it in pharmacies. Even if I have stiff muscles in the morning, I can put a bit on and it relaxes the muscles. Great stuff!!

Comment

Since I bought my icepacks from RedDot, they are probably the dodgy ones.... peas work fantastically. I had one packet once that I had used on my PF for about 4 months over and over, and then my brother stayed over at my house. I came home one night to hear him complaining about the terrible brand of peas I had bought... he had eaten my rererererererererefrozen icepack peas... now I label the packet!

I bought one of those wheat pack heat thingees a while ago, they are amazing for sore muscles and kendo headaches. They stay hot for hours.

Comment

Originally posted by Alison2805 View Post
                    Since I bought my icepacks from RedDot, they are probably the dodgy ones.... peas work fantastically. I had one packet once that I had used on my PF for about 4 months over and over, and then my brother stayed over at my house. I came home one night to hear him complaining about the terrible brand of peas I had bought... he had eaten my rererererererererefrozen icepack peas... now I label the packet!

I bought one of those wheat pack heat thingees a while ago, they are amazing for sore muscles and kendo headaches. They stay hot for hours.
                    hahahahaaha + Rep on that lol how did they taste to him? lol

Comment

They tasted so bad, he thought he should throw out the whole packet for me.
                      Last edited by Alison2805; 13th May 2009, 05:20 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Alison2805 View Post
                        They tasted so bad, he thought he should throw out the whole packet for me.
                        hahahaha now that's entertainment--i would have laughed for hours. I have an aunt that does opposite of whatever you ask. I took her for Sushi & warned her to use a vey small amount of the wasabi. immediately she took a huge spoonfull of it a put it in her mouth. Her face turn red & eyes bulged out. I think she gagged and drunk a gallon of water. hahahha me & my wife laughed for days!

Comment

hehehe, thats priceless!!

Comment

Working...
                          X