X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• only two

I have just started Kendo had about four lessons, and I love it. However until last night I was the only student. Im not complaining that now I must share with another but how will it affect my training and develpment with such a small number of students. Mainly I want to know about your experiences weather there a 5 or 50 students and how this has helped or hurt you in your pursuit of Kendo. Thanks

Andre R Crawford
    Killeen Tx

I think it's great as a beginner. I remember when I first started we would have small classes and it would be me and my sensei having a private lesson while the other students in bogu worked with the other senseis.

However, once you do get your bogu it's different. Bad different? I don't know. But it's different. You play the same people every day and unless your sensei is good, it's possible you won't progress as rapidly because of a lack of challenge.

In a large dojo, in the beginning you might not learn as fast but once you're in bogu it's possible to become better simply because of more opponents. This is to say that it is easier to find someone at exactly your skill (or slightly above) so you can get a challenge. In smaller dojos there are usually large gaps between the skill levels of people.

Comment

You're Lucky

Originally posted by ACRAWFORD
      I have just started Kendo had about four lessons, and I love it. However until last night I was the only student. Im not complaining that now I must share with another but how will it affect my training and develpment with such a small number of students. Mainly I want to know about your experiences weather there a 5 or 50 students and how this has helped or hurt you in your pursuit of Kendo. Thanks

Andre R Crawford
      Killeen Tx
      You are lucky that there are only two of you. This will allow you to get pretty much a private lesson.

In the beginner's class at our dojo, we have anywhere between 40-45 beginners each class. We have to teach this class with 4 instructors. One Instructor leads and the other three either help demonstrate or correct the beginners. Although we provide fairly detailed instruction, each instructor has to watch an average of 10 students.

amatsuda
      http://mywebpage.netscape.com/sjkendo

Comment

in beginner class i'd prefer to have small class, so instructor can notice my incurrect form or posture, in a normal training i'd prefer more people to join cos I'll have more chance to train with differnet people and learn from them

Comment

Funny that this topic should pop up. Today I went to practice at another dojo that I sometimes go to, expecting at least 10 people but it turns out no one showed up. Only one sensei was there, and we just did practice for about 2 hours straight. It was really helpful because he could tell me somethings that I probably wouldn't usually get help with. But if I had to practice with the same sensei all the time it probably wouldn't be as helpful as having alot of different people to practice with. It's better to have alot more people I think, plus sometimes you get to rest alittle if you get tired if there are more people. But be sure to push yourself..

Comment

I remember the days when we only had 5 people at Union City practices. Only Hashimoto Sensei, myself and 4 dans. We had 4-5 kids, but they practiced with Hashimoto Sensei and the other dans ran our practice. that was great.

At one point we had ~60 members show up to practice at once at Palo Alto. (~100 members on paper) As for us, we have 6 senseis total and usually 3 out of those show up. So we split our practices into groups. Our last group is all beginners with or without hakama. Our lower intermediates wear bogu, but usually no men. Our upper intermediates wear full bogu and learn basics. The "advanced" kenshi go through basics, conditioning, waza, etc.

Tim

Comment

Thank You

I just wanted to take the time to thank you all for posting your experiences. They have helped me very much.

Andre Crawford
              Ft Hood Tx

Comment

Working...
              X