Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Question for College Students

Hello,

I am currently a high school senior, and it is time that I begin to make plans for next year - college.

Since the age range of these forums is relatively young, I was hoping someone could enlighten me of their experience of training in college. I am pursuing architecture and may end up at a school with a very tough first year. I don't want to have to miss practice (often) because of not being able to study otherwise. This has not been a problem this year, I simply study for everything ahead of time. But I am under the impression that it will be much tougher in college, and depending on which school I attend, I will possibly be without a car, and there may or may not be a Kendo club on campus (though there is always one nearby off campus - I made sure of that). So for any who know, was it difficult to practice consistently 2+ times a week?

I am told that if I like it enough, I will be able to find time to practice no matter what is thrown at me. But I still want other people's opinions =P

Also, if I will be living with a roommate or many roommates, I am afraid the small space will not allow for me to put out my bogu/gi to dry, which if coupled with missing practice, could result in some really nasty equipment, and probably even damage it. Did anyone else's roommate complain about the smell? Or the space? Did they try to play with your shinai/bogu when you were away?

All productive replies will be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Oh,

I forgot to add,

Because of the distance and time I may have to spend away from my current dojo, would it be advisable to change dojos once I go to college? I don't think it would be appropriate to be a "guest" for 4 years, but I still plan to practice at my current dojo any chance I get, winter/summer break for example.

Thanks again.

Comment

college and life

I am 26 work for the government and go to college and then Kendo. Time management is key. When selecting your classes shcedule them so you have like one hard one medium and two easy classes. As far as training you will probably have to make sacrifices like sleep so you can study or friends or chasing the opposite sex.... However if it an important part of your life then you will find time for it. Just do not let your studies suffer college is important in your path to success in life. Training is something you can do for the rest of your life, But college gets harder the older you become. Trust me. I have two kids a wife a job and college 9 credits every five weeks. So do it now while you only have yourself to worry about.

Hope this helps

Andre R Crawford

Ft Hood Tx

Comment

I was about to trounce the post above but I had a rare feeling for humanity.

Please stop. You're killing me.

Comment

It really just depends on how smart you are. For instance, if you were a type of person who studied all the time to get into a hard college, then it'll be hard to continue Kendo, simply because uh...you can't learn as fast as others so you must spend time studying more. However, if you were smart and got into a hard college by natural brilliance, then it'll be pretty easy to continue Kendo. (or if you were smart and went to an easy college).
          I use to commute 40 minutes for Kendo, but now that I'm in college (a freshman) it's a 20 minute walk to the same dojo. I go to practice twice a week still, sometimes hitch a ride from a friend to go three times a week.
          In college, studying ahead of time is key to balancing Kendo. I didn't do that though. I ended up having spells where i'd be gone from kendo one week to study for midterms and such (though I would bring my bogu and stuff to my midterm and finish it quickly and go to kendo). I went to parties after kendo on thursday nights a bit, so it was fun.

Roommates, this was the fun part. I only had one roommate in a normal sized double. In the first half of the semester, I had lots of lysol, lots. I would hang my keikogi and shiznit out the window after practice. They were doing construction across the street, so it woke us up every morning. But by the second week, we stopped noticing it and slept through it (though my roommate was consistently late to class b/c he didn't notice his alarm clock). I kept my bogu in my closet with the lysol, though the room still smelled. This semester i'm gonna try febreeze, i heard that works better. Eventually I was hanging my keikogi out the bathroom window (when it got colder my roommate couldn't handle it any more). Then the cleaning crew started complaining saying i couldn't have it there. If I put it there another day, they would toss it. It kind of pissed me off...a lot. It wasn't in the way, the window was always open, all that stuff, no one ever used that fricken window for anything. But yeah. My roommate and I got along, so there really wasn't much of an issue with the bogu (though if your roommate hates you, that sucks).

So yeah, any other questions?
          Which colleges did you apply to?

Comment

You'd better stop watching TV and picking your nose. Read a book when you eat your lunch. Carry a book on your journey to and from the dojo. Then you'll save some time studying and do whatever activity you think you don't have the time to do.

My flatmates are okay since I don't have to display a set of stinky bogu in the common area. Just watch out for the ceiling bulbs!!!

Comment

multiple experiences

GaryHe,
              It's great that your already thinking about this ahead of time. I'm moving into my last semester at my university... with my experience I'd like to add something...
              After four years at my university kendo club ( check out our site by the way http://php.indiana.edu/~kendo/index.htm ) I've seen all sorts of people come through with the honest desire to commit themselves to kendo while they're at college. But, to look back on it.. only a small handfull of people made it past one year.. when I see them on campus and talk to them they all tell me that they still want to practice.. yet I don't see them at practice..
              Students go to univeristy for the chance to experience new things.. new friends, parties, clubs, classes, girls.. everything will be new. Most everyone is lured in multiple directions during these times (myself included).. so don't worry too much if you find yourself wanting to have some of these other experiences while your at universtiy. The students that stopped coming were the ones that didn't like 'starting over' after many times of missing practices.. Plus, its emabrassing to come back.. despite feeling guilty knowing your not holding true to your orignal desire to practice 'twice a week'...
              Anyhow, all I'm trying to say is that your life at college will open your world to many different things.. and thats a good thing. Just, if your serious about kendo make those promises to yourself and keep them. You'll have a lot of time there to do everything... just keep kendo on the A-list and you'll be fine...

ao

Comment

Thank you everyone who replied!

Will,
                Thanks for the room tips! I will carry lots of febreeze.
                I am applying to Cornell and USC for architecture, and then UC Irvine, UC Berkeley, UCLA, and UC San Diego for engineering. I know the architecture programs at both schools are quite rigorous, but Cornell has a club on campus and USC is surrounded by many dojos. If I go to UCI, I can still attend my current dojo, which would be awesome. I know an active kenshi at Berkeley, UCSD regularly attends SCKF tournaments, and UCLA is close to USC - many dojos nearby.

Vorcek,
                Thanks a lot for the input. I started Kendo last July, and have been in bogu since the middle of August, and it is now finally becoming apparent to me the 1 in 10 rule really counts: not many people make it past the beginner's training. I think I worked pretty hard last year to make it this far, so I don't think I'll quit unless absolutely necessary.

Comment

It might depend on your major as well. I myself am a sophomore in college in Engineering. I just make time in my schedule to do it. The classes are on Sunday and Thursday evening so I don't have to worry about them interfering with classes, and I just put my work schedule around that since I work on campus. For me, going to Kendo is like taking a study break and watching TV or something so it isn't a big deal.

Comment

Originally posted by mingshi
                    You'd better stop watching TV and picking your nose...
                    Guilty as charged.......

Comment

Working...
                    X