Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• First Class

Hey guys,

Tomorrow will be my first class, Sunday, and I noticed when I came in to watch a practice session, which is allowed, that they really don't tell beginners what to do. They leave them hanging almost during mokuso, or meditation. I saw that the beginners are just watching the others and doing as they do. I cannot hope but feel that they may do this with me also. I am 13 and very timid, so I was wondering if I could get some help or condolences(lol)?

first practice sunday, and you're already a Kendo Ronin!
    Hope you don't quit.

Comment

be active, not passive!

Well well well. It's scary isnt it, the first class, I dont know where you are located, but i hope you had a good time!!!!!!!

A lot of sensei dont really teach you or lead you every single step of kendo as watching and imitating the others is another good way to learn kendo. I personally think it is a good way to learn, however, considering the fact that you are only 13, if you dont understand, you should seek for a help. That's the best way to learn kendo.You should not expect everything to be spoon fed!!!That's the thing I kind of encounter teaching kendo at my uni to the beginners. I know everyone has to start somewhere, but there are things that you can do by yourselves!

Showing the enthusiasm and willing to learn may help

Good luck

Comment

Originally posted by kendoronin
        .... and very timid, so I was wondering if I could get some help or condolences(lol)?
        Kendo will either make you stop being timid or you will quit. I used to be quite timid untill I started kendo; believe me they don't mix. If you need help ask for it, but I would not hold out for condolence. Good luck and have fun. I hope you stick with it.

Comment

Thanks

Hey, thanks guys. My teachers are nice and know that I am a beginner, (at first glance and through my form, lol). First class was great, I can't wait to go again. Although do any of you guys have any advice on getting rid of my shyness? Because during class, when we are practicing with our shinai, they like us to kiai loud, so much that it rebounds against the gym walls (we practice at a school). I, being so shy, don't really like to scream or yell out. Well, thanks for the advice, and I welcome more.

Comment

Hey, thanks guys. My teachers are nice and know that I am a beginner, (at first glance and through my form, lol). First class was great, I can't wait to go again. Although do any of you guys have any advice on getting rid of my shyness? Because during class, when we are practicing with our shinai, they like us to kiai loud, so much that it rebounds against the gym walls (we practice at a school). I, being so shy, don't really like to scream or yell out. Well, thanks for the advice, and I welcome more.
            I think it's just something that comes along the more you practice. I'm guessing you haven't gotten into bogu yet? (Not sure, 'cause alot of schools operate differently.) But, I know that when I was just starting wtih kata, my kiai was pretty timid, because there was no one to look to for an example, except for my instructor (the only other student was this friend of mine who'd started the same time I did.)

Maybe when you've gotten into enough jigeiko, you'll start to develope a stronger kiai; but I don't really know, I'm just a beginner myself. We could use the help of some of the 'old timers' right about now.

Comment

Hi Kendoronin
              welcome to wonderful world of kendo~

I, being so shy, don't really like to scream or yell out. Well, thanks for the advice, and I welcome more.
              Actually its not scream or yell....... thats why we call it 'kiai' which is easiest thing you can do
              Just think about it... you can not do technical things yet, but 'kiai' is only thing you can do better than your fellow students, senpai or even sensei!!

... so dont be shy & timid

just my 2cents,

Comment

Kendoronin, don't give up! From some of the posts here it sounds like no one will give a crap if you come or not, and that's not true. Little by little your boldness will increase. Just watching what others do and imitating them is normal behavior in a Japanese teaching environment. Keep it up! As for kiai, it will get better, don't worry about it. Please keep us informed about how it's going. Stick it out, it's worth it, even if yelling or whatnot makes you uncomfortable because you're shy. Don't give up!

E-mail me if you feel like you're not getting the right answers to your kendo questions. Either I can answer them or direct you to someone who can.

CharlieKondek@yahoo.com

Comment

...Although do any of you guys have any advice on getting rid of my shyness? Because during class, when we are practicing with our shinai, they like us to kiai loud...
                  IMHO - When everyone is warming up as a group and doing the kai together thats a great time to just kai loud. Not saying you have to scream. Focus on your swing and not on wether or not people are listening to you because they are not, they are working on their swing. The more comfortable you can get with the group the easier it will be to kai when its just you and your opponent out on the court.

I think kai is a great thing, it gives you energy and confidence. Not to mention being a great stress reliever. Like everything else in kendo or life you have to challenge your weakness. Knowing you are shy is the first step to over coming it. Sometimes I feel self-conscious but I have to ignore the feeling and just give 100% 'cause a weak kai makes my body weak.

Don't give up. Try to relax and enjoy.

Comment

opps PC Correction:
                    Did not mean to call you weak. A little shyness can be charming so long as it doesn't prevent you from achieving your goals.

and err, I meant "kiai" not the car...

Comment

Banzai, baby

Hey Ronin,

All the things you mentioned, being worried about not doing the right thing, concern about not doing the kiai loudly, being shy, all these things are great self-observations and great reasons to take kendo.

I would say try to have a little more fun and keep in mind that the dojo is a very special place. It is a place of opportunity. I think a lot of folks will agree with me that this is where you will make an ass of yourself a million times and theres no way around it! And thats exactly why we do it, to learn, to become better people, to become stronger. So, heres my advice: enter into anything you do in the dojo fully, whether you have no idea what is going on or not, kiai with all your guts, not matter what sound comes out, let yourself out completely, whether you look like an ass or not. Because truth is, you cant avoid it!

Give it everything youve got, and have a blast.

Comment

It happens dude I felt kinda wierd myself first stepping into my club...my Dojo is very small I mean VERY small 10 people at max, including Sensei, with such a small Dojo and just starting you could guess that most people were advanced way over me...once you learn the Waza though and get in the Suburi circle you feel more like you belong...at least that is the way they did in my Dojo I don't know all Dojos are different I guess.

Comment

Oh I am really new myself by the way....I would say the best thing to do is realize, that you can't spend too much time time on footwork it saves you alot of discomfort.

Comment

Hi

I am very new to Kendo myself, in fact I only attended my first class last night.

My observation may or may not pertain to Kendo but I do find it helps in everyday life.

I too am extremely shy, so much so that it used to keep me from doing anything fun because I was to afraid to embarrass myself. Then I came to the conclusion that shyness is triggered by the feeling that you are being watched all the time. To think this is vanity in my eyes....... just concentrate on what you are doing and enjoying. Nobody is watching you, especially in the Dojo, the other Kendoka are working real hard and don't have the time, and spectators will have their eyes fixed on the more experienced and exciting classmates.

Put your whole mind and soul into what you are doing, and don't let the 'outside' interfere. I was shy my first kiai last night until I felt how good it made me feel and the power it sent through the shinai. I know at 13 you are not exposed to everyday stress, but now is a good time to learn to get it out..... shout at your opponent, even if he / she is imaginary and put all you have behind the blow.

Ok, enough from me...... just enjoy and overcome.. that is real strength.

Comment

Working...
                            X