Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.

Anyone know what I need to rehearse to prepare for the first promotion?

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anyone know what I need to rehearse to prepare for the first promotion?

After 2 years of kendo, I figure it's about ripe time to get a promotion...on the insistence of my sensei. I'm not sure what I need to know, so if anyone has any suggestions, I would greatly appreciate what you can share from your experiences. Thank you.

Kirikaeshi then Keiko...listen to the instructors to know when to start each...

practice for long periods of time in seiza

Comment

Lots of keiko and follow sensei advice on improving your form. Do you need to perform kata as well?

Ask your sensei what the format is going to be. From what Will wrote our promotion exams are different from his. Thankfully we don't have to sit seiza the whole time.

Make sure you get there on time so your not rushed. When you get into bogu double check to see everything is tied and tucked neatly. Himos nice and straight, men towel's not hanging out the back of your helmet like a little flag, stuff like that. It's a good habit to start if you don't already do it. Details matter.

Comment

what are keiko?

twotoedgiraffe, is this ur first exam?

Comment

Originally posted by mystic_kendoka
          what are keiko?
          "keiko": practice, training, rehearsal
          In the context I was using - attend dojo keiko/practice as much as possible.

Comment

Kirikaeshi then Keiko...listen to the....

what did he mean by keiko here then? we do kirikaeshi and then take part in a practise, and the "judges" observe us or sth?

Comment

Thanks for all the help guys. This will be my first exam in about 2 weeks time. I cannot remember what my sensei called this first stage, but perhaps it was some kyu. Do I need to perform kata for this? So, it's kirikaeshi then free keiko? I've seen a promotion in the past when I started, but there weren't anyone testing at the lower levels when I attended. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Comment

You don't even have to start learning kata untill your third kyu, but its better to start any way.(with permision of course) Kata testing as far as I know starts at first dan.

Comment

my exam is on 11th february... my first exam.. hope for the best..

Comment

hey mystic , what grade you goin for ?

Comment

Originally posted by twotoedgiraffe
                      Thanks for all the help guys. This will be my first exam in about 2 weeks time.
                      Are you from Australia?

Comment

I'll try my first grading this saturday (February 14).

Dont know by now what will we do in the grading, today my sensei will tell me the program. I'm so scared...

Comment

Actually, it wasn't that bad, but you just have to make sure of a few things. Don't block any attacks during the keiko, be sure to have a loud loud kiai, louder than you normally are. This will compensate if you are in a larger place for the promotion than where you normally practice. Also, always attack with a big motion strikes to the men if you're a beginner, don't bother going for small strikes. Don't even go for big motion kote, do or tsuki strikes. Apparently, this is a measure of your form. The kote, do, tsuki strikes aren't as important apparently because if your men strike is perfect, nothing can deflect that. Keep your kiai strong, make sure your form is good when dancing and prancing around during the keikos (my arms were sticking too far out instead of just being one fist from your belly). Don't do the kirikaeshi very fast, just make sure it's nice and evenly timed, but more important is that you keep your correct mai distance and strike precisely while keeping your form perfect when doing this in the beginning. With the katas you just have to do as you rehearsed again and again. Good Luck!

Comment

Working...
                          X