X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Am I behind?

I've hesitated to say this, because I might not like the answer..

I want to win regional championships and be known as a great swordsman.
    But my mom said I'm 16 and if you want to be great at something like kendo
    you need to train since your born. Ofcourse I refused to listen.. But I'm 145
    and 5'7. I feel like I'm lacking physcial attributes sometimes as well. Why do
    I want to take kendo? it's because I want to travel with my dojo and broaden
    my horizon, places like Japan. And ofcourse to be a swordsman just like hitokiri
    battousai.

But the question is?
    If I take this seriously and I start classes about now, will I ever become
    tournament level? Can I really be the best?

'The Best' is a nearly impossible goal to achieve. Most Kendoka aren't in Kendo to be the best however (I hope).

Comment

Originally posted by lilbattousai
      I've hesitated to say this, because I might not like the answer..

I want to win regional championships and be known as a great swordsman.
      But my mom said I'm 16 and if you want to be great at something like kendo
      you need to train since your born. Ofcourse I refused to listen.. But I'm 145
      and 5'7. I feel like I'm lacking physcial attributes sometimes as well. Why do
      I want to take kendo? it's because I want to travel with my dojo and broaden
      my horizon, places like Japan. And ofcourse to be a swordsman just like hitokiri
      battousai.

But the question is?
      Forget about winning and you'll probably win more than when you think about winning ^-^. And don't forget Battosai is only a manga character, that might help too.
      On the other hand, you're not too old, not too small and not to weak to be good. Kendo is not about strength.

Comment

Originally posted by Katana
        'The Best' is a nearly impossible goal to achieve. Most Kendoka aren't in Kendo to be the best however (I hope).
        I any kendoka thinks he's the best, he should look at Eiga Naoki, that will cool him down..... ^-^

Comment

Recently, I was thinking the same thing and asked a good friend and sempai about this. He said that you shouldn't do kendo to "be the best" or to win, but do it because you want to better your self. Thats the theory behind budo. He also said that their are people that started kendo late in there lives, and are great at it. The probability is very very unlikely that you will be the best, but the probability will be very very very unlikely that youll be the worst. As long as you train hard, and always have a spirit to be recognized, chances are you will be recognized.

Comment

Originally posted by Shiro
            I any kendoka thinks he's the best, he should look at Eiga Naoki, that will cool him down..... ^-^
            Very true. Very, very true.

Comment

Originally posted by Katana
              Very true. Very, very true.
              I've seen him fight at the Nakakura Cup in Brussels a couple of weeks ago.....
              He took on 3 high-ranked kendoka (I know there was a 6th dan among them) the one after the other and he didn't have any problem with them!

Comment

most former kendo champions you see nowadays and most people on this forum started kendo at about they're mid 40~50... if you're 16.. youre still young, and have loads of time... this is weird as im only 14...

Comment

I just started Kendo myself in December, but I am 26 by far no spring chicken.

Comment

Originally posted by mystic_kendoka
                    most former kendo champions you see nowadays and most people on this forum started kendo at about they're mid 40~50....
                    Say what?..where did you pull that number from???

Comment

Why do I want to take kendo? it's because I want to travel with my dojo and broaden my horizon, places like Japan. And ofcourse to be a swordsman just like hitokiri battousai.

But the question is?
                      The only way you can be the best if get out of your fantasy and join the rest of the world in reality.

and you probably won't be the best

Comment

work hard!

Originally posted by Will
                        The only way you can be the best if get out of your fantasy and join the rest of the world in reality.

and you probably won't be the best
                        I agree with that! If you chase your dream too much you might find yourself in really pressured situation.Plus if you want to be a regional winner, why are you windging? If you have time to be the way you are, you should start practicing!!! This might sound harsh, but hey, if you want to have something then you should work for it.Things won't come to you!As you are old enough to get it by yourself!Come on!what are you waiting for!?

yukiko
                        PS.what is 145?is that your weight in kg?

Comment

oei,, 145kg... go for sumo...

Comment

16 is not an unusual age to start kendo in western societies, as it isn't an activity that most people pick up, like baseball or soccer.

But to be the best? A more realistic thing to do is to simply focus on being your best. It's like trying to be better than the major league baseball players. Just do all you can, put in your all, and that's all anyone can ask for. If you try to be better than everyone, you'll most likely be disappointed.

Yes, you can become tournament level, yes, you could potentially be the best, but you musn't think about that. Just think about putting forth your effort in the task at hand (basics first).

Comment

But I'm 145 and 5'7. I feel like I'm lacking physcial attributes sometimes as well. Why do I want to take kendo? it's because I want to travel with my dojo and broaden
                              my horizon, places like Japan. Can I really be the best?
                              5'7" & comingz in at aboutz a buckz andz a halfz wetz......

Diss iz likez da Keebler Elfz doingz Kendoz.....youz betta makez a 2nd tripz 2 da buffetz.............

Comment

Working...
                              X