X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• kendo and aikido

I'm training with a Boken 4 times a week at the dojo where I train Aikido.It's the training with the Boken that I enjoy the most so much that I have been doing alot of reading about Kendo.
    Does anyone know how close these training methods are and would my training with the Boken help or hurt me if I train in Kendo.

Thanks
    Boomer

Aiki-ken & Kendo

Originally posted by Boomer
    I'm training with a Boken 4 times a week at the dojo where I train Aikido.It's the training with the Boken that I enjoy the most so much that I have been doing alot of reading about Kendo.
    Does anyone know how close these training methods are and would my training with the Boken help or hurt me if I train in Kendo.

Thanks
    Boomer
    There are no simple answers. Aiki-ken and Kendo are different. The techniques of Aiki-ken do not directly translate into Kendo techniques, but the Kumi-tachi of Aiki-ken and Kendo no Kata do have a superficial resemblence. If you are familiar with two-person work, then you might have an initial advantage in Kendo no Kata (which uses Bokuto) over someone without that experience.

A Bokuto and a Shinai have a different weight and feel. The footwork and striking for Kendo in Bogu are unique.

As I recall from eight years of Aiki-ken practice, the cuts are "small" compared with those in Kendo and Iaido. You will have to relearn how-to-cut. You may also have to relearn how-to-grip.

If you let Aiki-ken techniques creep into your Kendo, then Aiki-ken training will hinder progress in your Kendo training. (I had the opposite problem; I used the "big" cuts of Kendo & Iaido in my Aiki-ken, which is also improper technique) However, if you go in with the attitude that the techniques are different enough, and train that way, then there should be no problem.

I think that the defensive nature of Aikido and the offense nature of Kendo would make a great pair of complementary arts for you, if that's what you are looking for.

HTH.

Comment

Boomer,

Depending on how much buki work you did in aikido you may have to adjust your distance and timing for kendo. At my aikido dojo we tend to work at safer distances because the point of doing the bukiwaza is to reinforce the body movements of the unarmed techniques. Obviously with kendo you have to work at real distances or you will never score a single point.

Also, I think the snapping motion of the shinai may be difficult to learn at first because it is different from the cutting through motion I learned for the bokken.

My bukiwaza in aikido has actually gotten much better as a result of my kumdo training. My timing is tighter and my grasp of maai is much better. Still have a long way to go, but it is the journey not the destination that matters.

My $0.02.

Comment

Working...
      X