X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Self-defence

If any of you were ever found in the situation, where you are being assaulted, by a thief/murderer/bureaucrat, and you were armed with a bokuto, what would you do?

What i mean to ask is, what would be the quickest, most effective way of dispatching the assaulter?

Would it be just a plain old sho-men, or maybe wakki-no-kamae, then slicing upwards right between the legs? Either would be effective I suppose...

Also, is carrying a bokuto allowed by the law? Or will you be confiscated of the bokuto if carried in public?

Thats interesting that you would ask that, because today in civics, we had a police officer come to our school to talk to us. I asked him and he said People can carry weapons around (ie: guns, rifles, maybe boken), they just have to be showing. Thats in the United States though- so IM not held accountable for any greivance. lol.
    To answer your other question, I wouldn't hit the assailent with anything. Depending on the circumstances, I would fight with my fist- only if he also was unarmed, and had no friends. But him having a gun/knife, and me having a sword shaped stick doesn't match up. Humility is far less a price than your life- at least in the United States

Comment

So why are you asking these questions?

Carrying bokken that's not contained in some sort of sealed bag is illegal here. Even if it was legal, running around with a bare bokken is going to get you in more trouble that what you wanted to avoid in the first place.

Comment

If you defended yourself with the Bokken, The guy would just sue you for assault with a deadly weapon lol. I heard this somwhere.... Shoot to kill, Cause he'll just sue you if hes hurt. lol

Kenshi Jordan

Comment

When I started Taekwon-do many moons ago, our teacher emphasized that the best self-defence was the 400 meter sprint...and I agree.

Comment

if i ever return from a keiko with my bokken and someone one wants to attack me, he'll find out that my life is precious and that a bokken can pretty much knock you out. Armed or not armed, the guy is attending to your security, you must defend yourself with whatever in your disposition, you never know whats gonna happen, you could die or get paralysed from a not well placed punch. Anyway what's the point to attacking someone for nothing, or for money, its just unecessary and well...stupid.
            Anyone heard the story, of the guy in university, he was gay, picked by some guys who wanted to steal some money? well, he wanded up dead because of a over-beating. You never what's gonna happen, try to dispach your opponent quickly, and with anything that will do it fast.

Comment

Still, its better not try not to fight, than to automatically assume that the person is trying to kick your butt instantly. I dont have experience in the area, but I dont think muggers just attack people without trying to take their wallet peacfully. Find anyway possible not to fight, but if your being hurt because of it- go for it, but know the consequences. Be it Imprisonment, Injury or even death.

Comment

Originally posted by mystic_kendoka
                What i mean to ask is, what would be the quickest, most effective way of dispatching the assaulter? Also, is carrying a bokuto allowed by the law? Or will you be confiscated of the bokuto if carried in public
                The most effective way is to not find yourself in that situation. Period.

Why the hell would anyone walk around town with a bokuto anyways?

Orayakab, U.

Comment

a i agree with you both Caleb, oroyabak.

I know its better to avoid it, but that not always easy, some people are just really stupid and deaf and without a conscience and won't listen to a word or will run after you if you just go away. Always must you choose wisely.

Comment

Originally posted by litige
                    a i agree with you both Caleb, oroyabak.

I know its better to avoid it, but that not always easy, some people are just really stupid and deaf and without a conscience and won't listen to a word or will run after you if you just go away. Always must you choose wisely.
                    sry, orayakab, :-)
                    Last edited by litige; 22nd January 2004, 11:27 AM.

Comment

Fights are always good to avoid , walk away or run lol , just take these two examples :

I was on a field trip with my class in the woods , me and a friend fell behind the rest of the group and was sudenly suronded by 10-12 other dudes from another school ( sounds like somthing out of a kurosawa movie eh ? ) for some reason they decided they wanted my cap . Well since my cap and "honer" was at stake , i decided not to give it to them , and since i had a friend with me i thought we could hold are own ,but when i looked next to me , my friend had wanished , dude ran out and totaly bailed on me . In aftersight it was wise of him , I dident stand a chance , 10vs1 isent good odds .

And another time me and a friend were out walking , when some guys decided to mugg us , well again , money and honor at stake , 2vs2 , well thats what i though my friend bailed on me , taking off like the 100 yard dash. leaving me alone with 2 meen lookin dudes , how ever this time i wised up and ran like a trackstar , lucky me , seems "gangsters" cant run fast =)

Well moral of the story is " Run away , live to fight another day "

Fighting back in the day used to be 1on1 knuckles , fighting today seems to be everything from 15vs1 , or 1vs1 ( one of them pulls a gun or knife )

Life sucks then u die =)

Khabbi

Comment

Also, is carrying a bokuto allowed by the law? Or will you be confiscated of the bokuto if carried in public?
                        I don't know about carrying one but hitting someone with a bokken with definitely get you locked up, and for good cause. Honestly how often are you confronted with armed assailants, who are out for your blood? My guess is never. I lived in some rather "nasty" neighborhoods in Chicago, and the only confrontation I ever encountered was a few empty threats from some bum who was angry because I wouldn't give him my spare change. If you don't go out looking for a fight you will most likely not get in one. And if you happen to get into a fight, do what everyone else said and run.
                        This is stupid. I don't even know why anyone would have to tell you these things.

Comment

come on... people... i wasnt asking for advice... im not asking this to use in on someone... i just wanted to know for fun...

the best self-defence was the 400 meter sprint... this is one of the best sayings i have ever read... thank you JSchmidt...

Comment

come on... people... i wasnt asking for advice... im not asking this to use in on someone... i just wanted to know for fun...

the best self-defence was the 400 meter sprint... this is one of the best sayings i have ever read... thank you JSchmidt...
                            Well therein lies the problem. For you to ask this question for fun...

I think people would have more respect for mystic kendo had he not made the aforementioned statement.

Orayakab, U.

Comment

In Belgium you can take your bokuto almost anywhere as long as you carry you 'license' (the red card which says that you're member of the abkf) with you. In some cases you can't just run away because they're with to many and they're blocking the way, or you cant run fast enough. If that's the case I would just strike men and do all of the time, hoping that they forget how I look like, just in case they'd come back after me the next day with all of their friends.

Comment

Working...
                              X