X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Seiza

Greetings, I am very new to kendo, and only yesterday began kendo, I have many reasons for beginning kendo training, among many of those reasons being I have OCD and need an outlet for all of this stressed out energy, and really needing something to take my mind off of my nervous thoughts, but this isn't the reason for me posting this, lol ^_^'' my question is, and i know that many people have posted on this subject, but i could not understand the answers, how could i get myself more comfortable in seiza? everytime that i sit in seiza my knees start to ache and burn, along with my shins. Would it be reasonable if to start out, i only sit in seiza for a short period of time, on a softer surface, like a cushion or a bed for example? any input is greatly appreciated

Originally posted by Arachnamist View Post
    Greetings, I am very new to kendo, and only yesterday began kendo, I have many reasons for beginning kendo training, among many of those reasons being I have OCD and need an outlet for all of this stressed out energy, and really needing something to take my mind off of my nervous thoughts, but this isn't the reason for me posting this, lol ^_^'' my question is, and i know that many people have posted on this subject, but i could not understand the answers, how could i get myself more comfortable in seiza? everytime that i sit in seiza my knees start to ache and burn, along with my shins. Would it be reasonable if to start out, i only sit in seiza for a short period of time, on a softer surface, like a cushion or a bed for example? any input is greatly appreciated
    At the dojo, you're just going to have to grit your teeth and bear it. At home however, you can practice on a softer surface, such as a carpet or a cushion until you get used to it. Start off by sitting in seiza on a softer surface for a couple minutes, stand up to take a break, and repeat as often as you feel. Gradually increase the amount of time in seiza and before you know it you'll be comfortable for long periods of time. Ask your Sensei and/or sempai to take a look at how you sit in seiza as they can give you more appropriate and specific feedback.

Comment

Pretty much what David said, but perhaps check if you're sitting in seiza right- ideally it should be the feet that start to get numb, not the knees and shins

Comment

As others said, just practice at home after getting proper input at the dojo. Your knees and shins will eventually adapt. If not, there may be an underlying physical condition preventing that. How old are you?

Comment

I had exactly the same problem. This is how I solved it. Before training starts, make sure you spend at least seven minutes keeping your legs straight. Bend down to touch your toes with your back straight. You should feel a pull in your back thigh muscles and compression of muscles around the knee. Sit down and stretch out each leg individually and pull your body forward to touch your toes. I've found doing any stretch that straightens the legs for a decent period of time (not less than 2 minutes) helps me be able to deal with seiza. It doesn't totally remove the lack of comfort but it makes it very manageable to sit in for a longer period of time (rather than fidgetting constantly in agony).

I hope this works for you as it does for me

Comment

If it hurts so much, kneel down or stand up instead.

I can't do Seiza still because... I just can't bend that much, so instead my Sensei lets me kneel down on one knee, before I would stay standing up.

It's a slow process, but I will get into Seiza one day...

Comment

It gets better, keep with it.
              If you have to get out of seiza because it hurts to much, make sure to ask for permission and bow.

Comment

Working...
              X