Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What age did you start kendo

Hi.

Was just wondering when did you guys start kendo? I noticed at my dojo that no one is around my age other than my friend who I brought with me when I started. I started kendo last September when I was 17 and I'm wondering what age most people start? Especially outside of Japan.

started at 21 in 2005

Comment

Originally posted by CauseImSmaller View Post
      Hi.

Was just wondering when did you guys start kendo? I noticed at my dojo that no one is around my age other than my friend who I brought with me when I started. I started kendo last September when I was 17 and I'm wondering what age most people start? Especially outside of Japan.
      I started when I was 19 at college in 2004. You're actually starting at a good age because you've stopped growing (vertically anyway) so you won't have to worry about out-growing your bogu and you're in good control of your hand-eye coordination compared to someone starting at a very young age. I wouldn't sweat it too much and enjoy it!

Comment

Comment

Started when I was 24. Always wish I'd started earlier, but realistically, I would only have been able to start when I was 21 and moved to the US for grad school. In the long run, I hope 3 years will not make too much difference.

Comment

06 - 74 = -68. my trusty calculator says I started 68 years ago in my past life.

Comment

When I was 27 back in '09.

Comment

Originally posted by ShinKenshi View Post
                I started when I was 19 at college in 2004. You're actually starting at a good age because you've stopped growing (vertically anyway) so you won't have to worry about out-growing your bogu and you're in good control of your hand-eye coordination compared to someone starting at a very young age. I wouldn't sweat it too much and enjoy it!
                I always thought males stopped growing at age 21. Or at least I was taugh that in puberty class haha.

I find that most of my senpai's are age 25 and up. I feel a generation gap when the club events. I can't relate to any of the stuff.
                Last edited by CauseImSmaller; 12th February 2011, 12:39 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by CauseImSmaller View Post
                  I find that most of my senpai's are age 25 and up. I feel a generation gap when the club events. I can't relate to any of the stuff.
                  Wait until you're old enough to drink...

Comment

Started when I was 19 and I am 32 now.

Comment

I started a few months ago, soooo 29 years old. 30th birthday in May is on a Kendo night. Which is a happiness.

Most people assume I am much more young than I am, and I sometimes have people in their early twenties giving me sage wisdom. Which is also a happiness.

Comment

started at 39. screw you guys.

Comment

I started at 41. I am now 47.

Comment

@40 - 16 years ago. Screw what Turbo?

Comment

I stared when I was 28 in 2009... Recently we had 3 guys aged 17 join our dojo... I think it is never to late or to early to start.... Actualy that is one of the things I realy like about kendo - that I train with people of diffrent age...

Comment

Working...
                              X