girls vs. guys?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by don_lubo
    Muschio i think your sensei is absolutely right. Of cource he doesn't train women the same way that men because there are too many differences between wimen and mans. Is there a girl who can do 250 kirikeshi?!?
    don_lubo-chan........... I know alot of women around the world who can do that, and could probably kick your ass in 15 seconds too. I highly doubt you can do 250 kirikaeshi, and actually do them correctly. Quit being so damn ignorant. I would like to see you go against Kei Okada from Japan. She would tsuki you through the wall. My sensei, who's a woman, would run the 5000 or so steps of the Fushimi Inari Temple in Kyoto every morning. Tenken, Tenken's brother, and myself had a hard time just walking up those steps. Try educating yourself more about kendo before posting your opinions about it.

Comment

Guys,

Don_Lubo is a "certified" troll, just ignore him.

Comment

Being a girl has no influence on how good Kendo-ka you are (or you can become) I got beaten by many girls ( like Catherine :-)) I know what I am talking about :-)

Comment

I will not discuss this any longer with a guy who is calling "kick ass" the vitory in shiai and who can make a conclusion about my kendo from what i'm writing in this forum.

Comment

Just a question guys, girls; if a guy and a girl with average physical comparing for guys and for girls, equal intelligent, start to learn Kendo, who do you think progress faster?

Comment

Muschio, while it's true that the ratio of men to women in most clubs is a little daunting, women can and do play very strong kendo. We have some very good women kendoka here in Canada, if you look for posts here by Ms. Kendo she's one of them. Several of our national team members (including Ms. Kendo's big sis) have placed in the best 4 in men's divisions in competitions in Seattle and Vancouver, against some of the best people you'll find outside of Japan. So just practice hard, and maybe someday you can be that good.

By all accounts your instructor is a certified jerk. You're in a very tough situation there, and I wish you the best of luck whatever you decide to do.

Comment

I would think that they will progress the same, as long as both put in the same practice at home and energy into their practice.

Of course, some people have natural gifts at different things. Whichever has a natural gift for kendo would naturally progress faster. But if all things are the same, I vote they progress the same.

Comment

Muschio,

I have just realised that you are located in Mexico.

You have some very good women kendoka in Mexico. I met Loila Herrara de Chavez at the summer camp in Kitamoto, Japan about 3 years ago. Her kendo was very nice and she was very determined!

In our dojo we thought quite a bit about how to support the women members. We have a women's kendo lunch every couple of months. At that lunch all of the women get together and talk kendo. It is intended to be a place where women can ask kendo questions, swap books etc without being worried that someone might think they are stupid for not already knowing the answers.

We all really enjoy the lunches. We also decided that we would have a special motto for the women in the club.

We also have an Australia-wide women's training once a year. We found that the best encouragement for women to continue playing kendo is for them to meet other women playing kendo and to train together.

Maybe you would be able to organise one of those weekends in your country. We have been able to organise the weekends quite cheaply - with homestay accommodation etc.

If you could do that, I think that it would help get the women in your dojo some support for their training.

Regards,

Catherine

Comment

Originally posted by Catherine
                    Muschio,

I have just realised that you are located in Mexico.

You have some very good women kendoka in Mexico. I met Loila Herrara de Chavez at the summer camp in Kitamoto, Japan about 3 years ago. Her kendo was very nice and she was very determined!

In our dojo we thought quite a bit about how to support the women members. We have a women's kendo lunch every couple of months. At that lunch all of the women get together and talk kendo. It is intended to be a place where women can ask kendo questions, swap books etc without being worried that someone might think they are stupid for not already knowing the answers.

We all really enjoy the lunches. We also decided that we would have a special motto for the women in the club.

We also have an Australia-wide women's training once a year. We found that the best encouragement for women to continue playing kendo is for them to meet other women playing kendo and to train together.

Maybe you would be able to organise one of those weekends in your country. We have been able to organise the weekends quite cheaply - with homestay accommodation etc.

If you could do that, I think that it would help get the women in your dojo some support for their training.

Regards,

Catherine
                    Folks - in case you don't already know, Catherine is my sempai at the Sydney Kendo Club, and is one of the highest-ranked female kendoka in Australia as far as I know. My point is, she has tons of kendo experience which makes her post particularly meaningful, especially from a female kendoka's perspective.

Catherine: How about a sempai(s)-and-beginners gathering? I've got tons of kendo questions

Comment

Gender is irrelevant in Kendo? In that case, let's pitch the women's national team against the men's national team in any country. The audience might snicker and chuckle for the first one or two rounds, but will become solemn after realizing the tragedy.

Let's try another non-contact sport. Soccer. Most of the males are skinny; the females should have a shot. ...Oh the tragedy!

Tennis. Why not?
                      ...I can't watch.

Comment

Originally posted by Yowai
                        Gender is irrelevant in Kendo? In that case, let's pitch the women's national team against the men's national team in any country. The audience might snicker and chuckle for the first one or two rounds, but will become solemn after realizing the tragedy.

Let's try another non-contact sport. Soccer. Most of the males are skinny; the females should have a shot. ...Oh the tragedy!

Tennis. Why not?
                        ...I can't watch.
                        Yowai "Mr Super Troll",

Kendo is not just winning match.
                        What about kendo kata? or reiho? Most of the females have very good forms ...well in fact better than males in many cases.

From experience looking after beginners, men has tendency to rely on their strength, where female and youth can copy the movement.
                        So men have more rigidy awkward form.

Overall at any level of kendo, ladies have more proper forms and footworks than most of guys.

Comment

Originally posted by don_lubo
                          I will not discuss this any longer with a guy who is calling "kick ass" the vitory in shiai and who can make a conclusion about my kendo from what i'm writing in this forum.
                          erm...MooCow is a certified demon...so he pretty much does "kick arse". Try asking the Korean dude he nearly threw out of shiai jo in WKC.

Kendo tho' is about what you are. You can adapt your kendo to your abilities. Big ppl can use their size but at the same time smaller builds can aim for speed. It would be rediculous to try and fight a bull on its level...look at the Corgi...it looks like a useless dog but the damn buggers move welsh cattle by nipping away at their heels and not by trying to head butt the bigger beasts.

True that in most cases the female frame is less muscular that the male but kendo is not only about strenght...if that was the case a 8dan sensei would get annihalated by most younger guys...

Comment

Originally posted by Kirin
                            Yowai "Mr Super Troll",

Kendo is not just winning match.
                            What about kendo kata? or reiho? Most of the females have very good forms ...well in fact better than males in many cases.

From experience looking after beginners, men has tendency to rely on their strength, where female and youth can copy the movement.
                            So men have more rigidy awkward form.

Overall at any level of kendo, ladies have more proper forms and footworks than most of guys.
                            Can't agree with more.

Comment

Feminist bullshit.

Since the top females aren't competitive against the top males, you must imply that shiai requires little to none of "forms and footworks."
                              Oh OK; I stand corrected. Enjoy your katas and samurai mimickings.

Comment

Put it simply. as my Kendo teacher says it. "Once your in armor, it doesn't matter if your male or female. It depends on the strength of your mind and heart."

Comment

Working...
                                X