X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How far do you run for trainning?

Hi, I have just started Kendo, I am 5'10", 190 lbs.........

I am fat, I will admit it, but I do alot of running, and my stamina is not the problem. I usually run 4 - 6 miles a day, at 8:30 min/mile pace or faster. I will start cutting down the bad food.

My question is, do you guys do much running for Kendo? If so, how much? how far? and at what speed?

also any diets that you strictly follow to keep in top shape?

Well I'm in good shape, don't run every day though, even if I had the time, but I ride my Mt. Bike every saturday, and boy!!, no matter how much I ride it, it still hurts the next day....I'm not sure if it helps for Kendo, but I belive it at least boost your stamina and agility.

As for diets, well EAT EVERYTHING!, I mean it, Veggies, Fruit, Chicken, try to balance everything, also don't try to fill your stomach too much, eat only what your body needs, have you noticed that the lesser you eat the more active you become?, and the other way around, you just want to sleep?, try it!

Comment

Originally posted by N2k
      Well I'm in good shape, don't run every day though, even if I had the time, but I ride my Mt. Bike every saturday, and boy!!, no matter how much I ride it, it still hurts the next day....I'm not sure if it helps for Kendo, but I belive it at least boost your stamina and agility.

As for diets, well EAT EVERYTHING!, I mean it, Veggies, Fruit, Chicken, try to balance everything, also don't try to fill your stomach too much, eat only what your body needs, have you noticed that the lesser you eat the more active you become?, and the other way around, you just want to sleep?, try it!
      I love food too much!

but I will try to cut down more, I have lost like 15 lbs just from my running, even though I have been eating mroe garbage, I guess its time to get the but in gear and eat properly............. looks over and sees the cookies my mom just brought me..........

Comment

Hi,

congratulations on starting kendo. :-)

If you are overweight maybe you should ask a doctor if running is ok for you. Get good jogging shoes in any case! Dont buy cheap crap, it will ruin you knees!

You really run a lot....I am very impressed. Keep on the workout but dont overtrain. Take a day off from time to time.

About diets: Diets dont work, they only make you even fatter. Change your eating habbits bit by bit. maybe first start to exchange the softdrinks (Cola and such...) with water. Then watch what you eat and when you eat it (when watching TV, when you are bored, frustrated or lonely...)

Changing your lifestyle is a lot of work and takes a long time. You are doing very well as you started running and kendo but dont overtrain because you might get frustrated and drop everything after a few months.

Keep up the good work man...there are guys out there who are slimmer than you but they dont get their butt moved, but YOU DID!!!

Be proud!

greetings

meow

Comment

I used to run 3 miles everyday during the summer. It sure helped a lot ^_^. Try to cut down on the pop while you're at it, or don't drink any before practice.

Comment

I'd say running 3 or 4 miles a day is plenty to keep you fit, in terms of lung capacity. If you run up to 6 pretty regularly, I would make sure that you throw in some easy days and at least one day per week of no running to allow your body to recover, maybe even two days.

Comment

Put it simply, Kendo is a Mental sport (Over a Physical at least) But i would agree with most people that fitness is required. We usally dont have a limit on how much me run and stuff....at the dojo i practice at, we just make them swing while suriashi.

Comment

Originally posted by meow
                Hi,

congratulations on starting kendo. :-)

If you are overweight maybe you should ask a doctor if running is ok for you. Get good jogging shoes in any case! Dont buy cheap crap, it will ruin you knees!

You really run a lot....I am very impressed. Keep on the workout but dont overtrain. Take a day off from time to time.

About diets: Diets dont work, they only make you even fatter. Change your eating habbits bit by bit. maybe first start to exchange the softdrinks (Cola and such...) with water. Then watch what you eat and when you eat it (when watching TV, when you are bored, frustrated or lonely...)

Changing your lifestyle is a lot of work and takes a long time. You are doing very well as you started running and kendo but dont overtrain because you might get frustrated and drop everything after a few months.

Keep up the good work man...there are guys out there who are slimmer than you but they dont get their butt moved, but YOU DID!!!

Be proud!

greetings

meow
                thanks for the advice everyone. I dont drink pop anymore, unless someone brings me a meal that came with one (which is very rare). Also I am on a Navy SEAL pre-trainning running program (no I'm not a Navy SEAL, but I have been doing this running program for the last two months, and before that I had been jogging 5 times a week). So the running is not that hard for me. I guess I should cut back on all the bad things I eat slowly. Hell, I had carrots and an apple for lunch yesterday, and a veggie burger for dinner.........

I was just wondering if there will come a point where the extra baggage will severly hamper me or not......... so far I have not gotten that tired in practice, except my arms tingle a little after doing 100 hayasuburi.......

Comment

Nicholas - welcome to kendo. I'd say you're doing more than enough cardio for kendo purposes. If you're concerned about diet, www.fitday.com is a very good resource to track inputs and outputs.

Comment

Working...
                  X