X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• urp

I ate a mukaezuki yesterday. It went in so hard and deep that I could taste it. Seriously, I still have the metallic taste in my mouth, as well as referred pain up into my ears, and down into my shoulders and chest. I feel OK except for the pain, but man! that was nasty. Let's be careful out there, boys and girls.

Interesting that the ZNKR instruction manual specifically says not to do mukai-zuki due to its danger.

Comment

Originally posted by rfoxmich View Post
      Interesting that the ZNKR instruction manual specifically says not to do mukai-zuki due to its danger.
      This one was accidental, I think. We just got jammed up and his kensen slid up the front of my dou.

Comment

I hope you're ok Jonathan. For me, it helps to keep stretching my neck and shoulders throughout the day. Think I'll have a stretch break now actually....

Although we largely consider kendo a 'safe' martial art, the truth is it's still a contact sport. I'm sure that wasn't the first time someone landed a shot like that on you and I'm sure you've done the same to others over the years. Like you said, it was an accident.

I remember driving in (or trying to at least) a katate tsuki from tou-ma range on a sempai several months ago, he then went for a nuki men thinking I was coming in for men, side stepped and came forward HARD putting my kensen and both our body weights squarely into his shoulder. It left him with a monster spider bruise; it looked like a tattoo! Sensei called it "Tou-ma pokey waza." I actually think his wife may have even liked the bruise a little, it looked very cool, very bad-ass!
        That wasn't a typical keiko for us, but of course bruises do happen.
        As you said, "Be careful out there" and stay in control.

Comment

I got a beast last night as well. Standard tsuki, not the nasty mukae shovel bomb that can happen, but it totally missed. I can still feel it now. Big throat pain today!

Comment

I've been eating some weirdass tsuki ever since going back to jodan. Had a mofo try to tsuki me last night with both feet in the air, jumping forward like some sort of angry duck.

Comment

Originally posted by b8amack View Post
              I've been eating some weirdass tsuki ever since going back to jodan. Had a mofo try to tsuki me last night with both feet in the air, jumping forward like some sort of angry duck.
              I tried Jodan for about 6 months a long while back, and got exactly the same. It's like people who have rarely, if ever, done tsuki properly in their life suddenly feel it is their god given right to injure your face and neck.

Comment

Originally posted by JByrd View Post
                ...Seriously, I still have the metallic taste in my mouth...
                Well if you're going to use REAL swords... b

Comment

Originally posted by The great I AM View Post
                  I tried Jodan for about 6 months a long while back, and got exactly the same. It's like people who have rarely, if ever, done tsuki properly in their life suddenly feel it is their god given right to injure your face and neck.
                  That's the feeling I get as well. The people who are throwing these wild tsuki NEVER throw tsuki against chudan. But it's like carte blanche, or a red flag or whatever...

Comment

Originally posted by b8amack View Post
                    ...it's like carte blanche, or a red flag or whatever...
                    I like to think of it as a green light...

Comment

I knew I was missing a colour.

Comment

Originally posted by D'Artagnan View Post
                        I like to think of it as a green light...
                        Yeah, and you can't do tsuki either.

Comment

Originally posted by The great I AM View Post
                          Yeah, and you can't do tsuki either.
                          Nope, but I am pretty good at receiving it!

Comment

Originally posted by D'Artagnan View Post
                            Nope, but I am pretty good at receiving it!
                            Yes, yes you are.

Comment

Actually I have scored Morotedzuki in Shiai here in Japan though...

Comment

Working...
                              X