X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• JODAN

Well first of all I'm in Kumdo 7thkeup. What ive learned is that kendo teaches jodan position. Can that postition be used in sparring. My master tells me not to. I was wondering what the kendo people say about it.

your instructor tells you not to because you need to master the basics first.

After you get your first degree or whatever it is in kumdo, maybe then he'll encourage you to.

Comment

in Kumdo it's called sangdan.. and like Will said you shouldn't learn that until you're 1-2 dan

Comment

it can be used in sparring, its not really that difficult, but its better to wait as it might affect your normal kendo/kumdo...

Comment

Jodan is perhaps easier than chuudan in that you don't have to worry about moving around so much, but it does require you to be able to read your opponent a lot more (debana and so forth are nigh impossible), not to mention it requires a lot more strength. Best to wait and "build your kendo muscle", so to speak.

Comment

kumdoman,

you'd better check out the profiles and previous postings of the people who are dispensing advice on this matter before you take their counsel to heart. make sure it doesn't become a case of the blind leading the blind. your best source of advice for now, and for a long time to come, will be your teacher.

Comment

What Halcyon said. What Eldritch Knight said - not so much. In fact, not at all.

Comment

Youz kindz of havzta learnz 2 do da Kendoz firzt b-4 doingz da Jodanz....

Comment

Ditto

What Neil Said.

BTW, I thought the Korean Ordinal were hana, dul, set, net doset, yoset....
                  and the Cardinal numbers were Il, Ie, Sam, Sa, Oh, Yuk, Chil, Pal etc.....
                  So wouldnt a 1st dan be an Il-dan I believe thats what it was back in 1989 when I got mine. Has early onset alzheimers set in already?

Comment

Originally posted by Hiryu
                    What Neil Said.

So wouldnt a 1st dan be an Il-dan I believe thats what it was back in 1989 when I got mine. Has early onset alzheimers set in already?
                    are you talking to me? I don't get what you're saying... "sangdan" means "upper stance" and that's what jodan is called in Korean

Comment

Originally posted by Hiryu
                      What Neil Said.

1st dan would be "chodan" (beginning dan), equivalent of "shodan"

Comment

Originally posted by kumdoman
                        Well first of all I'm in Kumdo 7thkeup. What ive learned is that kendo teaches jodan position. Can that postition be used in sparring. My master tells me not to. I was wondering what the kendo people say about it.
                        My advice is to stick with chudan. The only ones who are good at jodan are the ones who have excellent jodan instructors and are also "naturally" good at kendo. I can honestly say the only strong jodan kenshi in the U.S. has to be Tenken, besides the ones who are from Japan, because Tenken's dad was pretty much the one who introduced jodan in this country some 25 or so years ago. Even the people I saw doing jodan at the world championships were nothing spectacular.
                        So if you want to become competitive in kumdo/kendo you should stick with chudan. If you're just doing it for the enjoyment of the sport, and you want to learn everything there is to kumdo/kendo, then I say go for it.
                        Mr. Knight.... jodan is much more difficult than chudan. Take it from a guy who has done chudan, jodan, and nito.

Comment

I yield. I'm still fairly new to jodan and those're simply my opinions

Comment

Mature Advice

" If you're just doing it for the enjoyment of the sport, and you want to learn everything there is to kumdo/kendo, then I say go for it."

I always preface my comments with the caveat that I am a newcomer to Kendo, but I have 55 years of life experience. The above quote is a mature and well thought out reply. I know Moocow is a "world-class" athlete and I have a number of friends who fit this description, in their day. My one complaint with many of those who fall into this category is that they don't acknowledge the place of a particular discipline in the life of an "ordinary" participant. I think the fact that I have attended Kumdo class 3-4 days a week for the last year and a half makes me a serious student and worthy enough to at least call myself a practitioner of the art and to practice nito. Although my skill level may be insignificant compared to some, the advice to "go for it" is absolutely appropriate and in the best interest of advancing Kendo for everyone.

Comment

Working...
                            X