X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• excercise

Ive been doing kumdo since about august, and since just this past tuesday my knee has started to hurt. I know that seems to be a common injury for kendoka/kumdo martial artists'. So im wondering what excercise or lifts I should do, so not to permenently injure it.

Please go and see a doctor!

Do not seek medical advice on the internet. If your knee is injured only a doctor can make diagnostics and medical attendance.

greetings

meow

Comment

Originally posted by kumdoman
      Ive been doing kumdo since about august, and since just this past tuesday my knee has started to hurt. I know that seems to be a common injury for kendoka/kumdo martial artists'. So im wondering what excercise or lifts I should do, so not to permenently injure it.
      Still see a doctor, but actually hurt knees is not a common injury in kendo/kumdo from what I've heard. I thought I read many times on this forum that people with bad knees are still able to practice fine. See a doctor and try to figure out if you are doing something wrong. Even when my knee is messed up, even strong fumikomi doesn't hurt my knees because it's not exerting your knees but shifting your weight properly. Check your form with your dojo mates and sensei, see a doctor...

Comment

Practical Advice

I am not a physician but I do have "bad knees" and have been around life long enough to have some practical advice. First you need to know the difference between being "sore" and having "acute pain". Acute pain requires immediate attention as it could mean damage to a structure. The reality is that no one will be able to tell you anything, including an orthopedic surgeon, without some fairly expensive testing, like a MRI. An x-ray will only show damage to a hard structure, like bone. It is unlikely you have a fracture.

Soreness is to be expected when you are building new muscles or even if you over exert well developed ones. But, soreness goes away with rest and the use of heat. Is there any swelling or discoloration of the skin. Either of these may portend something more ominous.

The bottom line for me would be - if rest and heat make it go away, fine. If not, get some help but be prepared for testing and the possibliity of an arthroscopic look-see.

Comment

Working...
        X