X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Finger nerve pinch?

I have noticed lately a problem with the index finger of my left hand (see image). Sometimes when I go in for a strike, the region marked with the red ellipse stings (for want of a better term). It's somewhat similar to being struck on one's funny bone, so I assume it's a nerve that's being pinched. The area is in contact with the tsuka; I thought it's because I wasn't turning my wrists inward enough, but the problem persists.

Anyone experience the same thing? I'd go to Google but I am not even sure what search terms to use (apart from the obvious ones, which haven't given results). I'm currently taping some gauze to it to act as padding but it keeps coming off due to sweat.

I had exact same thing but it was my left ring finger. Sometimes so painful that I would almost drop the shinai. It would only flash for a second or two then be gone. The flash of pain if you could call it that would go up to about my elbow. I don't have any advice though, I just kept practicing and tried stretching my hands and forearms more. It eventually went away after a few months. I think for me it had something to do with the way I was striking, that and just my body getting older which I seem to be noticing more and more.

Comment

I was getting a stingy pinch on my right hand tip of the index finger. I just massaged my hand and stretched my fingers, it went away after a few minutes.

Comment

Originally posted by verissimus View Post
        I have noticed lately a problem with the index finger of my left hand (see image). Sometimes when I go in for a strike, the region marked with the red ellipse stings (for want of a better term). It's somewhat similar to being struck on one's funny bone, so I assume it's a nerve that's being pinched. The area is in contact with the tsuka; I thought it's because I wasn't turning my wrists inward enough, but the problem persists.

Anyone experience the same thing? I'd go to Google but I am not even sure what search terms to use (apart from the obvious ones, which haven't given results). I'm currently taping some gauze to it to act as padding but it keeps coming off due to sweat.
        I've had the same problem from time to time. It only happens to me when the shinai actively rolls over that area, be it from my overzealousness or someone harai / makiage really really hard.

The way I've dealt with it is to strengthen the ring and pinky fingers...as if the shinai tsuka doesn't roll over that area, the pinch doesn't happen.

Comment

Nerves pinch easily in the hands and wrists, and the feet as well, when used in certain activities. All those little bones with nerves running around between them. Firm massage is usually good. If it continues to persist, see a doctor though. Someone who specializes in sports medicine would be the best bet.

Comment

Originally posted by DCPan View Post
            The way I've dealt with it is to strengthen the ring and pinky fingers...as if the shinai tsuka doesn't roll over that area, the pinch doesn't happen.
            I'm pretty consistent with placing most of the grip emphasis on the little and ring fingers. But you're right - once in a while the shinai will role over the affected area and I am reminded that I probably have to turn my wrists in more. Well, just another thing I have to keep working on, I suppose. As if the list wasn't long enough already...

Comment

Working...
            X