Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Marsten sensei, thats a great solution. If it is possible do you think you could take a picture, or have your son take a picture, of the inside of his men and post it on here? I'd be interested to see it as a solution for my daughter as well as some other of our students. It seems to me that sewing it into the men would be the hard part.

Comment

Go to here. Scroll down to the digital catalog on the left side where it says click and it is on page 15.

http://www.koei-budogu.co.jp/categor...ogu/index.html

Comment

Originally posted by MikeW View Post
        Marsten sensei, thats a great solution. If it is possible do you think you could take a picture, or have your son take a picture, of the inside of his men and post it on here? I'd be interested to see it as a solution for my daughter as well as some other of our students. It seems to me that sewing it into the men would be the hard part.
        I wouldn't know about the sewing as it was done by Maruyama for us as a personal favor. One thing we should have done was bevel the edge of the sorbothane first. My wife had to modify it and sew it done more because the edge.

I try to take a picture. Can't see much as it is completely covered. Hard to tell it is even in there. When your kid is involved you will go to all kind of lengths to protect them.

Comment

Originally posted by Curtis View Post
          Go to here. Scroll down to the digital catalog on the left side where it says click and it is on page 15.

Yup, that's the one I'm thinking of.

Comment

Thank you, sensei!

I am reading this right, it looks like even the cheapest men-only is 54,100.

I think I'm just going to get my son a normal men that's a little too big and try your sorbothane idea. Thank you again.

Comment

Originally posted by jjcruiser View Post
              Thank you, sensei!

I am reading this right, it looks like even the cheapest men-only is 54,100.

I think I'm just going to get my son a normal men that's a little too big and try your sorbothane idea. Thank you again.
              Sorbothane cost me about $20 or so.

Comment

Sorbothane cost me about $20 or so.
                Like this?

Comment

I had a friend in college that got into a bad ski accident where he received a severe concussion. He took almost a 6 months to reover from the injuries and of course kendo was a no go. Somehow when he came back he must have became more concussion prone and had to quit after 2 weeks despite previously practing kendo for 3 years with no problems. I've also seen some people with cheaper bogu from China or Korea that have a thin futon, no real protection and the person wore it almost super tight. It didn't help that person was prone to hit hard so people usually struck him back harder. When he got a new bogu the occaionally dizzyness was no longer an issue.

Comment

Like this?
                    Yes. Might have bought a higher durometer but I can't remember. I'll look for the receipt.

Comment

Perhaps the easiest thing would be to make a men pad with sorbothane. I would just prefer to have it sewed in for proper fitting.
                      I had a sorbothane men pad. I gave it to Bolling sensei after my men was reconstructed because there's no longer any room for the pad.

It would appear that sorbothane men pad is no longer available online.

Comment

Originally posted by DCPan View Post
                        I had a sorbothane men pad. I gave it to Bolling sensei after my men was reconstructed because there's no longer any room for the pad.

It would appear that sorbothane men pad is no longer available online.
                        Guess it's time to look for new sewing machine and develop one. If I get a good enough one I'm going to try a men buton.

Comment

I'll check and see if that OEM in Shang-Hai can do it as well....

Comment

Guess it's time to look for new sewing machine and develop one. If I get a good enough one I'm going to try a men buton.
                            I was just going to cut off the old pad from the piece of fitted plastic on my old men pad and then try sewing and gluing it to the piece of sorbothane. It's probably cheaper to buy a larger piece of plastic but I wouldn't know where to get it.

Comment

Originally posted by Toshiro Mifune View Post
                              Somehow when he came back he must have became more concussion prone and had to quit after 2 weeks despite previously practing kendo for 3 years with no problems.
                              No somehow about it. Once someone receives a serious concussion, they can easily become prone to future concussions, and lesser concussions can become more serious while lesser impacts can become concussions. Second-Impact Syndrome is a bad thing.

Comment

I was just going to cut off the old pad from the piece of fitted plastic on my old men pad and then try sewing and gluing it to the piece of sorbothane. It's probably cheaper to buy a larger piece of plastic but I wouldn't know where to get it.
                                I made a men pad from an old style mouse pad (very thick) and piece of plastic from the needle point section of the craft store. I cut the plastic to fit in the slit plus 2 inches. Glued it to the mouse pad. The student has now been using for about a year.

I am certain the sorbothane would have been a better choice.

Comment

Working...
                                X